How Cold is your Red

It’s 7PM here in Maine, the outside temp has dropped to about 80, about the same as the house. I just poured myself a glass of 2013 Silver Mountain Santa Cruz Mountain Pinot Noir. I put it in the fridge this morning, took it out a while ago. It’s probably about 60 degrees. I’ll be grilling dinner soon. I put it back in the fridge. Look forward to another glass or two at 55 or even 50 degrees.

At what temperature do you like your reds in the summer? For which type of reds? Different temps for different grapes? Favored red grapes in hot weather?

Dan Kravitz

Over 100 here, if I drink a red which is rare when it’s this hot I take it (lighter style Pinot) out, open it set it on the counter so first glass is probably no more than 60* last glass probably 65-66 maybe.

Out of the cellar (s) at 55, drink shortly thereafter…but slowly. Probably 65 by EOB.

Bout 58-60 for PN.

Sangria over ice.

We do 57-59 and of course drink it indoors with the A/C at 72.

1 Like

55 out of the cellar is a bit cold. But I can’t handle room temp red wine. In between is ideal.

Would agree at the 55 as too cold especially for reds. I tend to like good Rose and Chardonnay warmer than recommend.

55 at most.

On a hot summer day, it’s better to serve too cold than too warm. A cold wine will reach proper temperature naturally. A too warm wine is just yuck.

I’m a philistine and drink reds straight from the fridge, with a gradual warmup through dinner

61.7 degrees . . .exactly . . . [snort.gif]

Cheers

I just say “cool-ish room temp”, so maybe 65-70.

1 Like

Sounds like me. Wine will eventually warm up, and when you have a house at 80F, they warm up FAST.

Cellar is 61 at the moment, so just about right for a red. I keep the wine in the cellar in between glasses.

10 or 20 years ago in Puerto Rico, I remember drinking Tempranillos and Malbecs at 80+ like it was nothing. Even Bordeaux, Côte-Rôties, Zins and big Napa Cabs might get that treatment.

These days the absolute warmest a red will go for me is 66 year round unless I’m in a restaurant that’s warmer than that or I’m grilling, and even then I try to keep it coolish. Otherwise, I generally serve reds out of the cellar at 55 and they can warm from there up to 66.

If it’s a very light red like Vajra’s Clare JC, I might give it a chill down to 50 before serving.

Depends on the red, and the age, and the alc content. But this is the best general answer. I like to keep my condo at about 66-68 when wine tasting. That way the wines don’t get much warmer than that.

I tend to keep my serious reds asleep during the summer months and drink easy going, not complex, but quaffable reds.

Painfully young Langhe Nebbiolo chilled down to 40* is my go to for outside drinking. It beats the pants off most rosé, for my tastes. I’ve done the same with Bojo.

My cellar is about 60 F, but I drink them at room temp: low to mid 70’s. I do not like them cool - if I want something cool there are white wines or more likely, iced water or a beer.

Just opened a Rose around that temp and off the charts good. Chilled it to the recommended temp of about 55 and not very good. Don’t think there really is any exact rules but your own experiences and likes. [cheers.gif]