TN: Buisson-Charles Meursault Les Charmes 2017

Zoot! Pourquoi ai-je attendu pour boire ce vin, ma premiere bouteille de Buisson-Charles? Incroyable.

Right out of the bottle into the glass, it is intensely aromatic with citrus notes. On the palate, it is almost painful in its depth and drive,
beautifully balanced and clean. The fruit is classy, essence of Meursault with riveting intensity and endless persistence on palate. It is as good as any Meursault I have ever drunk. It is a beautiful wine, top rank indeed. I am so happy to have a few bottles. There is much upside to this wine, but it will be hard not to enjoy it young. Chapeau, Patrick Essa.

Wow, better than the numerous Coche Meursaults that you’ve consumed? Those are strong words. . .

Yes they are good wines. The importer here brought me in a couple of samples of the '17s when they were released and to me more refined wines than those from a decade ago. The wines of the noughties certainly had power.

Buisson-Charles is an excellent although somewhat under the radar producer. I recently had a 2017 Chassagne Montrachet 1’er En Cailleret from them that also was quite good.

Coche? I don’t think it’s quite there but it’s not going to be ashamed in its company.

Good to know! I haven’t had any of their wines yet, but do own one of their 17 Chass En Remilly. Very difficult climate to find.

Got a case of the 09 gout d’or in storage. May need to give one a try.

Thank you Alan for this review of one of my wines. I just specify that contrary to what I often read - not here - we are not the proponents of a classicism that would make our wines “old school” representatives of the Meursault. All my employees and my son Louis are agricultural engineers and oenologists and while knowing the most innovative techniques we seek above all to intervene as little as possible. Cutting physiologically ripe grapes to never acidify or chaptalise requires small yields and old vines
 this is our case.

Merci Alan pour ce compte rendu d’un de mes vins. Je prĂ©cise juste que contrairement Ă  ce que je lis souvent - pas ici - nous ne sommes pas les tenants d’un classicisme qui ferait de nos vins des reprĂ©sentants « old school » du Meursault. Tous mes employĂ©s et mon fils Louis sont ingĂ©nieurs agronomes et Ɠnologues et tout en connaissant les techniques les plus novatrices nous cherchons avant tout Ă  intervenir le moins possible. Couper des raisins mĂ»rs physiologiquement pour ne jamais acidifier ou chaptaliser demande de petits rendements et de vieilles vignes
c’est notre cas.

4 Likes

I agree 
 and I love the wines made by Patrick (usually with more age on it as I now drink 2007 and 2008).
It®s always a tough race in the cellar between Charmes, Gouttes d®Or and Bouches Cheres 
 and I also love the Tessons 

Concur and has held the line over time. This note is from July 2016 at my cellar depressurization event (the only one of his wines I believe I’ve had). The rank is out of 109 wines total (although, on the Meursault horizontal table it found itself, I’ll confess that the 01 Roulot Les Luchets and the 08 Bouchard Genevrieres beat it out).

"2011 Buisson-Charles Meursault Bouches Cheres

Lemon-lime, nuts, ginger—plenty of activity. This has a roundness the others don’t—still with drive and and a real savoury element. Lime repeat and some delicious herbs. This is a tremendously engaging wine. #8"

The ‘14 and ‘17 Gouttes were some of my favorite (and best QPR) young White Burgs in memory. I haven’t had the Charmes.

Zoot ? Or zut ?

I just learned that Michel Buisson, father in law of Patrick, passed a year ago 
 such a lovely warm character, he often showed me through the cellar, I’ll miss him 

(his wife followed last Dec. 
)
RIP
[cry.gif]

Zut. I speak it ok but don’t write that well . . . I remember first time I saw the word now, maintenant, had thought it was “matnow.”

not this.

Zut suit riot. Well done, sir.