Fruit sources for 1997 Etude Napa Cabernet?

Does anyone have any information on where the fruit for the 1997 Etude Napa cabernet came from? Parker’s notes don’t say anything while Tanzer notes that there’s a “bit” from Eden Rock (which I believe is Oakville) but doesn’t say anything about the rest.

While specific vineyards would be great, even something like Oakville or Rutherford, or valley floor vs hillside would be appreciated. Likewise whether it’s 100% cab or has any other varieties in the blend.

I sent an e-mail to cs at the winery, but figured someone here might know…

You may want to write Tony Soter at Soter Vineyards in Carlton, OR. He still owned the winery in 1997 and might remember. Or maybe try Scott Rich at Talisman Winery. I believe he was Tony’s main assistant at that point and was definitely hands-on.

From Tanzer it sounds like the Eden Rock vineyard contributed a portion of the blend:

Vinous, May/June 2000, IWC Issue #90
(Etude Wines Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley) Saturated ruby. Highly aromatic, fruit-driven nose of boysenberry, cassis, minerals, cedar, flowers and shoe polish. Dense, highly concentrated and sharply delineated. Fairly big cabernet for this label but not at all heavy. Dusty tannins spread out over the palate. A bit of cabernet sauvignon from the Eden Rock Vineyard under Dalla Valle really lifts this wine’s aromatics

The Rutherford Cab from Etude is/was the one that was sourcing from the Scarecrow site before Bret and team introduced Scarecrow in 2003.

Timothy from Etude’s wine club wrote me back.

Madrona Ranch in St. Helena supplied the core of the Etude “Napa” from 1990 through 1997 (and I assume beyond).

Vine Hill Ranch in Oakville and for the first time* in 1997 Eden Rock in Oakville are the other two contributors to the blend.

• The e-mail actually says that 1997 was Eden Rock’s first “significant” contribution to the blend.

Thanks, Timothy! [cheers.gif]

Thanks for following up on this - was curious as well. I’m a fan of these wines from that 1997-2001 time period - if you can track down some of the Rutherford bottling (the 2001 in particular), well stored bottles are showing fantastic right now [cheers.gif]

I used to live in Jersey City and at the time there was a steakhouse I used to frequent that served this by the glass at the bar. I loved it, worked great with steak. Now that I know where the grapes came from, it is not surprising it was so good.

I think the 1997 is the only Etude cab I ever drank, and as I recall it was pretty good.

Additional details from the e-mail for completeness sake - the blend is 93% CS and 7% CF, with all of the Franc from Madrona. Aging was in 100% new French oak.

I just heard back from Jamie at Soter Vineyards as well. Tony diagrammed the planting plan and bought all the grapes for several years from Eden Rock, now known in the Bond portfolio as “St. Eden.”

He also confirmed that they sourced fruit from what is now Scarecrow and from Morisoli, but those must have all gone into the “Rutherford” bottling rather than the “Napa.” They also bought fruit from Frediani across the road from Eisele once they put some CS in alongside the century-vine zin they had/have there.

1 Like

Frediani wasn’t picked up until the mid 00’s. The last vintage of Cohn was in 2008. Morisoli replaced Cohn the following year. Eden Rock’s last bottling was 2001. Vine Hill has been a long time contributor for the Napa Valley blend. The St Helena cab was Schoenstein, cant remember the new name… and unsure if that still goes to Etude… Meteor was a big chunk of the mid 00s and later NV Cab. Kenefick was also a mainstay.

If you haven’t had an Etude Cab you’re seriously missing out.

This is what I love about the wine community, that he took the time to respond to you in detail about a wine he made at a winery he sold over 20 years ago. How cool is that?

1 Like

The 1997 Etude Cabernet Sauvignon, Rutherford was from JJ Cohn Vineyard.