1975 Winzerverein Ayl an der Saar Ayler Kupp Riesling Auslese Mosel Saar Ruwer

The color was a pretty burnished gold. Surprised when opening the bottle by how explosive the nose was, strong overlay of tangerine, and pitted summer fruit. Pleasing on the palate, nice acidity and a medium long finish. Overall a delightful wine, that kept getting better for the best part of an hour before beginning to fade.
6942E75F-CDAF-42A8-B8A8-583670E16BB6.jpeg

2 Likes

Not surprised that was good, given the vineyard and 75 is an underrated vintage in the Saar.

From a relatively small sample, I have had better luck with 1975 than 1976

Interesting that it is considered underrated. I think of 75 as the best vintage between 72 and 89, inclusive.

Agree that '75 was a great vintage in Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, IMO clearly better than '76, better balance, almost on the level of '71.

Dan Kravitz

75 did not suffer from the overwhelming ripeness that characterised 1976 –

best wine in the past dozen years was a 1975 Schloss Eltz Rauenthaler Baiken Spätlese – 125€ on the wine list at Palais Coburg in Vienna

I had the 1976 twice a few years ago, and thought that it was excellent both times. No other experience with this producer beyond that, but I’m glad to hear that the 1975 showed well.

Wow. Have not seen a Schloss Eltz wine in a long time.

I think of 1976 as mostly a vintage for real late harvest wines. Really rich wines.

Do you ever come to the Boston area, Howard? I have an Eltz TBA that I was planning to bring to a future Rieslingfeier, and then COVID hit. Ideally, I’d like to share it with fellow Riesling geeks.

2 Likes