3L BYO in NYC - Suggestions?

Hi All,

Me and a group of buddies are celebrating our friend’s 40th. Some of us are novice wine drinkers and others have full blown problems. We’re going to a BYO, where I negotiated a one time corkage fee of 35 dollars up to a double magnum. Food is Korean BBQ, so was thinking big red and a budget of about 600 dollars (9 or so ppl) would placate my avid wine drinking friends and those that stick to mostly dad beers.

Can ya’ll point me in the right direction for large format wines that fit this bill? I’m in NYC if it makes any difference.

Thank you for your insights in advance!

Which restaurant is allowing $35 for a 3L?

https://auction.zachys.com/catalog.aspx?auctionid=186
If you want birth year, they have a nice 3L of 82 Lafite!
Or 3 3L bottles of Ausone if you want to save some for their 50th and 60th!

Is this a hoax?

You’re trying to cheat the restaurant and the staff out of a proper revenue flow by minimizing the number of corks pulled?

Please tell me this is a hoax.

He did note that the restaurant agreed to $35 up to double magnum. If they agreed I’m not sure how he’s cheating them out of anything.

3 Likes

No experience with the shop or the wine (though the cellartracker reviews are positive) but this fits your budget and has some age on it. Looks to be a pretty rare bottle, too - only 10 3Ls made.

Clos Saron Cabernet Sauvignon Slope 1 “Once Upon a Time” 1995

sounds like it’s a casual local Korean bbq joint that serves beer and he already cleared it before hand

3 Likes

slightly above your budget by 50 bucks but big wine and should go well with meat!

2 Likes

Do you time to get it shipped?

I would go with Aussie Shiraz.

2003 Torbreck Run Rig, $695

There are a couple places on Wine-Searcher (including one in NY) that have double mags of '12 Pegau Reservee for just over $400. Love that wine and vintage, and while it’s not a huge red it will give you some wiggle room on pairings. That’s what I would go with if it was me.

3 Likes

Crush has a nervi-conterno gattinara and a drouhin mouches, both 16, for around $500. For something a bit bigger sherry Lehman has quite a few choices.

1 Like

Buy a 3L of Agrapart Terroirs. I served one in May that was a big hit with geeks and casual drinkers alike.

1 Like

Or

https://www.morrellwine.com/wines/Chateau-Smith-Haut-Lafitte-Pessac-Leognan-1998-w47155186v

1 Like

I have a 3L bottle of Leoville Las Cases 1994, which a WB’er sold to me in 1997, and which has been sitting sideways in my kitchen refrigerator since then.
I can sell to you for that price, and my apartment is just blocks directly east of Koreatown.

Wine-Searcher pricing, which seems higher.

CellarTracker TNs

Hey guys! Thanks for your input, genuinely appreciate each and every one of your insights, even Nathan’s nonsensical outrage.

I think I’m going to go ahead with the Château Smith-Haut-Lafittehttps://www.morrellwine.com/wines/Chateau-Smith-Haut-Lafitte-Pessac-Leognan-1998-w47155186v or the Nervi-Conterno Gattinara Molsino:2016 Nervi-Conterno Gattinara Molsino 3.0 L – Crush Wine & Spirits. Quite excited, and even more excited to gauge the group’s reaction.

Cheers!

1 Like

Just my two cents but of the two, I would lean towards the Smith-Haut-Lafitte. That Nervi-Conterno is probably nowhere close to being ready. Plus, drinking a 20+ year old Bordeaux can be an eye-opening experience for novices.

1 Like

I agree with Sam between those two. Personally, my choice would be to take Victor up on his offer.

1 Like

I have a 2008 3L Produtorri Normale if we could figure out shipping.

Brian is welcome to inspect the bottle in person, and decide.

This thread is a bit of provenance.

1 Like

Dan Posner at Grapes in White Plains has good selection of 3Ls, and Grapes delivers free to the city.

1 Like