TNs--Mike (and Jay) on mini-tour, Atlanta Day 3---Musar, Schoffit, Barmes Buecher, Sem Igual

Randy, Cris, Jay and me had (excellent) Thai tonight, so naturally all whites–plus the Musar which we drank in the late afternoon. And the last one—wow!

2000 Chateau Musar

Here’s my note from just over 3 years ago:

"2000 Chateau Musar

Wonderful wine. No decant, just a little slow-ox for about an hour. Absolutely Musar to me—the leather, the cumin, the hummus–all on display with fanciful red berry and dried berry fruit in the main. This is one where there is no VA at all. It’s a touch on the “light” side and I was surprised a bit that it is showing fully mature to me, but this was pretty much everyone else’s fave and it was my #2 tonight."

Do you know what? Other than the slow-ox, I wouldn’t change a single word of that tasting note. it is absolutely consistent all the way with that last taste…and was, in fact, #2 tonight as well! I don’t know if I’ve ever had a wine that has been this close on consistency in terms of taste profile.

2000 Schoffit Clos Saint-Theobald Rangen den Thann Ries

This has a nicely evolved bouquet of definite honeysuckle to go with a bit of peach and some light mango. To taste, it is still elegant, with breathy feel, but also the sense of dried apricots and similar fruit with a small dab of honeycomb. After an hour, it’s clear this is starting–just starting–down its back end. Do drink up. I hadn’t had a Schoffit in ages and was thrilled to try it.

2017 Sem Igual Ramadas Wood Vinho Verde

Confession—the food we had was quite spicy, especially the pork dish, so that may have influenced. Nevertheless, aromatics and flavours of rich and slightly creamy but still-clear citrus and splash of pineapple. It does have freshness peeking in and out. A very precocious and enjoyable wine that may come even more together in a year or two.

2008 Barmes Buecher Rosenberg PG VT

Shudderlicious. Really. The aromatics soar with apricot, orange blossom, wonderful honey and very subtle poached pear. The conversation with the palate is sublime. The tingly yet silky persistence is just gorgeous and you can’t ignore the vibrancy of the peach, apricot, star fruit and honeycomb. It very gently coats your whole mouth and a breathe-back of almost sugared truffles. A wine to fulfill fantasies—I’ve had the privilege of a lot of great, great wine this weekend, but this was the best. 95.

I cannot thank Randy Katz and his wife Cris enough for their generosity of spirit and effort in putting together the get-togethers for this trip and especially for sharing so much of their wine and cellar with me and Jay. I am honoured and very lucky to have befriended them.

Mahalo nui loa

Mike

1 Like