TN: 2016 Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrieres

2016 Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrieres
It’s been a bit of journey to this particular bottle of wine. I had my first taste of Ulysse Collin in 2019 at the now defunct Ambonnay champagne bar in Portland. That bottle - also Les Pierrieres from the less-than-ideal 2011 vintage and enthusiastically recommended by the owner as being an inheritor of the Selosse style - was distinctly unappetizing, featuring a distinct green note and overt, screechy acidity, neither of which were mitigated by patience and lots of swirling in glass. I thereafter avoided Ulysse Collin, and so it has been with dazed wonderment that I’ve witnessed the price soar through the stratosphere these past few months.

This whole time there had been lurking, in the back of mind, the possibility that I’d prematurely passed judgement on Ulysse Collin by over-extrapolating from a marginal bottle in an unrepresentative vintage. Why else would all these people be paying $400-600 at retail?

So it was a stroke of providence when I found myself at a restaurant with a wine list featuring the 2016 Ulysse Collin Les Pierrieres (disgorged December 2020) for a fraction of the retail price today. Finally, an opportunity to taste a second bottle, from a good-ish vintage, to test if I had overreacted to my first taste of Ulysse Collin all those years ago.

The first glass was poured while the bottle was at cellar temperature - hence a trifle warmer than ideal - and straight away the wine hit me between the eyes with that same green note. It was not a light and lifted herbal green the way Condrieu can be (cf. Georges Vernay; thank you Alan), but rather a dark, earthy, sort of dried Oregano foresty green. Not too unpleasant, but not something you look forward to smelling in a glass of Champagne.

Coming right behind the green, though, as if hurrying over to erase the stain of the green note, was an impressive mineral line, layered and complex and admirable, accompanied by some offhanded fruit notes, peeking shyly out in the manner of a younger sister hiding behind their older sister’s dress. These fruit notes - and they were so reticent I failed to identify them as being of one kind or other - are just about the only concession the wine makes to drinking pleasure. Finally there is a bit of an oxidative flourish towards the end, a sort of cidery note that combines with the fruit in a way that reminds me of Ganevat, which ought to be a good thing and yet feels weirdly tacked on and unintegrated.

The Pierrieres is big and wide and uncompromising in its sensibilities on the palate, with a crushed rock sort of savoriness in abundance. I find the balance shifted as far towards the battery-acid end of the spectrum as is it will go without actually being unbalanced. It is not exactly unpleasant to drink, but is so busy impressing you with its scale and the amplitude of its mineral character that it forgets to leave room for much else. My dining companion says we might as well be drinking a sour beer and they are right, for there is none of the pleasure here for us that we usually find in wine, even in the very most humble wines.

It is thus left to the food to rescue the wine: an opportunity for the Epoisses Cheeseburger, cunningly designed by this restaurant’s proprietor to flatter even the most indifferent wine, to have its moment in the sun. And shine it does, for the rich, savory beef + Epoisses juices (and a dab of caramelized onion) meld seamlessly with the Pierrieres, rounding its edges, and the whole thing pops into focus for a brief, stunning moment. In that moment the Pierrieres is magisterial as it ever was, but also velvety and sensual, and you are suddenly free to ride wave after glorious wave of minerality to their vanishing point on the infinite horizon. But the cheeseburger is as finite as the horizon isn’t and soon we are left with crumbs, a dauntingly half-full bottle, and the memory of what could have been.

There are many excuses still to be deployed here. Perhaps we should have given this a lengthy decant instead of popping and pouring at the restaurant - even thirty minutes of air did this a power of good. Perhaps age will tame the angularity of the Pierrieres, transmuting rock into flesh. Perhaps we should have been more careful with our food choices and eaten nothing but cheeseburger for dinner. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

The mental image that the Pierrieres leaves me with is Patrick Bateman in American Psycho, flexing at himself in the mirror, a hermetic, closed loop, and a monument to self-absorption. And so it is to my (and my pocketbook’s) great relief that I now change the channel. Decent plus

6 Likes

I drank this twice last week. Decanted both times. It was generous and open after 60-90 minutes in decanter.

1 Like

So not for you? :grinning:

2 Likes

it was time for a second burger.

Thanks for the notes. There is room to disagree on the quality of the wines, but I think we can state as fact that Olivier Collin has done a phenomenal job on the distribution side. Even haters can drink these at below market prices at restaurants!

1 Like

Pretty damn funny! champagne.gif

Everyone’s palate is different. If you didn’t enjoy it, that’s cool. Lots of other wines out there! I would estimate I’ve had at least 30 bottles of this wine and I’ve never had this experience with it. It has always been, to me, the most giving of the Blanc de Blancs and the least dense. I still remember the first time I had the Pierrieres, I thought to myself that if pre-2014 Roulot made champagne, it might be like this.

I do agree that the earlier vintages of Olivier’s wines are both different in style (more oxidative) and not as good. (I still some 10 and 09 base iirc.) Selfishly, I would be happy if the rest of the wine world agreed with you - the wines would be easier to source and drink again! But I’m glad Olivier is getting the recognition he deserves, since the wines are amazing. If you don’t like them, that’s cool too.

1 Like

It really was! I regret it a little

I do love pre-2014 Roulot and am even opening a 2012 Meix Chavaux tonight from my own little collection. To your point Olivier’s wines are certainly impressive & I can see why people would like them, even if they aren’t for me

Quite true! This restaurant (Heirloom Cafe here in San Francisco) got allocated six bottles and priced them at $225, though sadly I took the last one. They still have 2019 Bouchard Val Vilaine though
champagne.gif

I get allocated 12 bottles of this. Of course, I have three Michelin stars.

I really appreciate the time and thought you put into your note, Yao. It was worth it to read, as we all do know how the price has gone up and availability has gone down for these. I only have notes on 2 Collin wines, both from 2018. I’ll reproduce them here, FWIW. The first is from a blind night in Hong Kong:

“The first, really tasty with perhaps some red fruit plenty of salt and seashell to buttress lemon So much style at front and middle–guessed an 06 so not bad when the 2010 Ulysse Collin Les Taillons showed up. This is a full pinot noir Champagne.”

Second is the one from the SF dinner—with you and Winfred both there [grin.gif]. Somehow I missed getting a millesime designation.

"Ulysse Collin Les Taillons Blanc de Noirs

I’ve had a few Collins, but never the pure PN. A fair dose of yeast but it’s furled into fine white apple fruit. Definite red fruit on the palate, raspberry, quite aggressive…which I like!"

That’s very kind Mike, and informative. Thank you! Perhaps I ought to revisit a Ulysse Collin BdN before passing final judgement on the producer

these are great wines…but like many a producer today whose prices jump stratospherically overnight, the optical sensation and associated social signals provided by the exterior of the bottle hardly justifies the hype and even worse, overshadows what is actually inside the glass. my first bottle of maillons was <$40 from the closeout shelf at astor almost 10 years ago. i suppose like several other dressner imports they did not exactly sell like hot cakes in the beginning. i have thoroughly enjoyed these wines for quite a while but can honestly say the only cuvee that produces fireworks consistently in my opinion is les roises. stylistically they are their own thing, but for my taste there are way too many other options for quality grower champagne under $100 that fit the bill. my last bottle was a recent release of les enfers and while very nice, it was no motivation to rush out and buy more.

also, i tend to find some green/herbal character in many grower champagnes ranging from leclapart to chartogne-taillet.

The Maillons (Collin’s only Blanc de noirs) is a different wine than the Pierrieres, of course, but I’d be surprised if you liked the Maillons while you disliked the Blanc de Blancs.

1 Like

I’m genuinely curious what under $100 grower champagne you think competes in quality with Collin.

Also, in cooler years plenty of big house champagne gives herbal notes too, not sure how that matters.

well without getting too esoteric, wk seems to rate larmandier-bernier’s top wines similarly to ulysse collin. while i am not into numerical scores, i do find the quality similar and you can buy heaps of larmandier around $100. i not long ago bought plenty of the 11 vv du levant for around $80 delivered.

op mentioned a green character in the wine, so i was only providing my anecdotal experience which is that it is not even just limited to cool years but fairly common among new school champagne producers.

Personally I don’t think Collin and L-B are similar wines structurally, aromatically, or in the mouth at all. (Not sure what WK ratings have to do with anything, unless you subscribe to that being the sole driver of market price, which it certainly isn’t.). Bottom line though is that L-B is very good but not a substitute for Collin.

i was speaking of quality, not style.

market price is completely relative. go to scandinavia and pretty much all the cuvees of collin are ~$150 in wine bars and restaurants.

William’s reviews of Larmandier-Bernier aren’t similar to Collin’s (even on a points basis), and they’re very different wines. This is like recommending Dujac to someone who likes Mugnier because they’re both highly rated Burgundies. Collin and Larmandier-Bernier aren’t meaningful substitutes in any way (and I like the Larmandier-Bernier wines and was there last month).

I think the statement that “green qualities are common in new school champagne producers” is both too vague to be useful (what is a “new school Champagne producer?) and far too pejorative towards a broad range of wines without justification. There are green grower champagnes at the higher end (2011 Sapience anyone?), but that statement is as meaningless as me saying there are too many herbal big house Tete de cuvées because I’ve had a few bottles of 2011 Comtes.

quality ≠ style

“96
Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate
The latest edition of Larmandier-Bernier’s NV Extra Brut Rosé de Saignée is simply stunning, wafting from the glass with scents of minty red apples, rose petals and blood orange. On the palate, it’s medium to full-bodied, pure and elegant, with a concentrated core of vibrant fruit, a pinpoint mousse and a long, beautifully fragrant finish. This wine’s alliance of delicacy and intensity makes it one of the most exciting rosé bottlings being produced in all of Champagne. This cuvée derives from the domaine’s oldest vines in Vertus and is disgorged with three grams per liter dosage.”

"Derived entirely from the 2015 vintage, the NV Extra Brut Rosé de Saignée Les Maillons (2015) was disgorged in March 2019 after 36 months sur lattes. A serious, gastronomic rosé, this is one of the more reserved of Collin’s 2015-base releases, unwinding in the glass with scents of raspberries, pomegranate, crushed mint, spices, toasted almonds and citrus rind. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, broad and vinous, with a muscular core of fruit girdled by lively acids and fine-grained phenolics, concluding with a long and sapid finish. A wine that rewards reflection, this is another terrific cuvée from Collin, but it will need a year on cork to really show its cards. 2020 - 2035

William Kelley, Wine Advocate (244), August 2019"

if dujac was .25 the cost of mugnier i don’t think anyone would be recommending mugnier.

i don’t mind a bit of green in my wines and it is in no way pejorative…how did you interpret my comment as negative?

y’all better go read some w.v.o. quine.