RIP RTP Latham Richard

Well, you don’t have him to pick on any more.

Link pulled from CT —> Richard Thomas Paul Latham - The Santa Barbara Independent

I forgot what the controversy was about him.

He reduced every thought about wine down to a QPR formula.

RIP Sir.

I am not sure this is the same person. The obit link is for Richard Thomas Paul Latham who was the son of an English peer. As such, I believe he would be SIR Richard Latham, assuming he retained his peerage.

According to somebody on CT who appeared to know him personally, this was him and he was a Sir. (Not that I have any idea what that actually means.)

2 Likes

Didn’t he also have a unique rating system?

Oh now I remember (or, how could I forget?). His obit picture makes him look around 58 or so, much too young to check out but at least now he can count points to his heart’s content.

Think again, remember this PM?
6A5FB861-99A9-40EB-963F-AE484E8CDB64.jpeg

1 Like

His rating system was still a work in progress, but it seemed revolutionary. Oh, what might have been!
(I could not resist)

But, seriously, he seemed very earnest and persistent in his ratings system quest only to be met with mockery and sarcasm from a bunch of WB clowns (myself included)
RIP

Here is a link with some discussion of his rating system. He did seem like quite a wine enthusiast, which is something we all share. RIP.

RIP indeed. May we all live such a long life.

The sheer meanness on this board towards the fellow was dispiriting. His rantings were consistent with someone with mid-state dementia - trying to put together ideas he once had a strong command over, but the jumbled pieces not quite falling in place together. My mother has Alzheimer’s and I see it every day, every interaction I have with her. It’s heartbreaking and the worst possible way to get old. Worse than cancer, worse than stroke. I have tremendous sympathy for his family before and after his death, and may he finally be at peace.

15 Likes

It is a sad bit of news. He believed in his system and didn’t need the public response that he got.

That was my take, too.

As someone in the exact same boat, very best wishes to you Vince. It is hard.

1 Like

Put me in this camp as well. May Sir Richard RIP and his family and friends find comfort.

There are Mean Girls in every social circle, sadly.

Best wishes to his family.

He was an interesting fellow. RIP

Isn’t Trader Joe’s based on the idea of reducing everything to QPR? In the old days, ie the '70s–all their newsletters promoted QPR for wine, mayo, beer, mustard, sardines, etc.

Somehow this reminds me of John Paul who parodied Parker and the Expectorator with the Art Advocate? Guernica…harsh, angular…59 points…anything by Renoir …round, rich, supple…95+…
One difference between art and wine is that you have to pay for wine you buy but millions can see famous paintings in a museum.

By the way, I don’t think that knighthood is inherited except in the case of baronets. So, when Sir Ali G dies, L’il Ali won’t become a Sir.

1 Like

You are correct Sir. They frequently have campaigns here in the UK to take knighthoods away from dead criminals, without people realising that you would first have to re-knight them.