Baggage Insurance - not just trip insurance

Does anyone have any experience purchasing baggage insurance when traveling internationally to cover wine? Several threads on this before, but didn’t see anything that was too enlightening.

The plan is to carry my Fly With Wine suitcase (and cold packs) to the Caribbean for dad’s 70th bday celebration with a case of wine. Trip insurance only insures the luggage up to $3000 but excludes wine since it is a consumable. I have called both credit card companies, AAA/Allianz, and USAA and no one will insure the luggage containing wine. I would normally not be too concerned but will all the horror stories recently involving lost luggage and the value inside the case, I am a little worried. Thanks.

Do you not have insurance on your wine collection? My policy covers travel.

I’m trying to wrap my head around this. I get propert insurance for things that would be devastating to lose (my house). It sounds like it’s not the $3000 limit but the wine exclusion that concerns you. But even if say it was a case of $500 bottles, $6000 total, if the actuaries at company (who should have a better idea than you) feel there is a 5% chance of total loss, I’m sure premium would be at least 10%. I doubt a $6000 loss would be a life changer for you. It’s not like the insurance company is going to replace the wines, it’s just a financial calculation.

I do not, but might be getting to the point I should look into it.

It won’t be $6000 but probably more than $3000. A total loss would not be a life changer but a major disappointment. A couple birth-year wines in there for him. It is just a calculation for the insurance company but seems like no one is willing to take the risk. If it is lost, I guess I could just lie about what’s in the case to recoup some money.

It’s not about risk, it’s just that only specialized companies insure collectables due to the nature of the underwriting and claims process. But you could likely get a policy written today at a company like Bluewater just for the bottles you want to insure. You provide a list and that’s what’s covered.

1 Like

The birth year wines (guessing 1952) will be damn near impossible to replace if lost. Insurance will give you cash but not the exact bottles. Not sure insurance will help, if you’re really concerned probably best not to bring those bottles.

My wine is scheduled but your question has caused me to question my agent as to if there are exclusions to the “all-risk” coverage. While their response will only be specific to my coverage, I will summarize their response when receieved.

1 Like

No experience with insurance, but we just bought Apple AirTags, which might be helpful in this situation. They would at least tell you where your wine ended up if it were lost. You might also consider a temperature sensor in the case to tell you what the max temp was in the unfortunate event that you’re separated from your wine for more than a day or two. No experience with those, but I’ve seen recs on this forum.

2 Likes