QPR - throwdown

alright what’s your best qpr. please precede with your taste preference.

2 Likes

I don’t think you will get much action here since this has been discussed 1000 times.

I’d at least suggest frame the question around what “type” of QPR. There is $40 wine that drinks like a $100 bottle and then there’s $400 wine that drinks like $1000 wine. Both are arguably good QPR, but in no world are they in the same discussion.

But to at least answer your question, I think Roilette Tardive from Beajoulais is a stellar QPR

3 Likes

The country of Portugal.

7 Likes

You could search for James Billy. He posted numerous ‘best value under…’ threads not too long ago.

drops mic.
[rofl.gif]

1 Like

commenters tend to engage more when you at least make the pretense of having done some legwork, like using the excellent search function here. this is a frequently discussed topic, so start with prior threads.

2 Likes

Thivin
Roilette
Lanessan
Sociando
Raffault
Baudry

I buy these in large quantities in most years. And have for a very long time. I think Thivin is probably the greatest QPR producer on the planet, especially when you consider the number of affordable cuvées they make plus the consistency from vintage to vintage.

5 Likes

Totally agree with Baudry.

Also:
Arterberry Maresh Dundee Hills for pinot
Servin for Chablis
Frog’s Leap for Napa cab and merlot
Walter Hansel Alyce for CA chard
Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs for zin
Cantemerle for Bordeaux
Pegau for CdP (not especially cheap at ~$50 for new releases, but world-class in my view)

Other than Pegau and Ridge there are wines I like more in each of these regions, but I think all of these punch well above their weight.

My tastes run towards the leaner side of things.

2 Likes

these are great - and yes, I know things have been said before, but sometimes they need a refresh. My taste tends to both big/broad, and I’ve found Penfolds bin 28 to hit the qpr spot there to date, but I love to see others. haven’t quite found my go-to on more crisp/dry whites which would be the taste profile I tend toward there.

3 Likes

Tàke Robert’s sociando suggestion with a grain of salt. He is part owner. Lol

2 Likes

You’re a good man, Robert A !
[cheers.gif]

1 Like

Roilette (Fleurie)
Louis-Claude Desvignes (Morgon)
Louis Michel (Chablis)
Texier (St Julien et St Alban, Pergaud)
Baudry

Vajra (Barbera, Langhe)
Caruso e Minini
Pietracupa
Cantina Terlan
Jermann
Italian white wine as a category, really

Raul Perez
Ameztoi (Txakolina)

Briceland
Mt Eden
Vincent Wine Company
Evesham Wood

2 Likes

80% of what Bedrock makes

1 Like

At or under $20:

Domaine Guion
Cantina Sociale Cooperativa Copertino
Baudry “Les Granges”
Vincent Paris Collines Rhodaniennes
Caractere Unique Saint-Chinian Blanc
Trimbach’s entry-level riesling

At or under $50:

Lanessan
Bernadotte
Cantemerle
Potensac
Raffault
Baudry
Domaines aux Moines
Lopez de Heredia
old MJC Colares Tinto
old J.B. Becker dry rieslings
Marcel Deiss lieu-dit bottlings

2 Likes

What do you folks with all the Lanessan, Sociando, etc. think of Poujeaux? It’s on my value list based on the ones I’ve tried.

1 Like

Most if not al lof these have already been listed

Raul Perez esp. Ultreia and his Albariño
Olga Raffault
Frog’s Leap
Lopez de Heredia
Hermanos Pecina
Bedrock OVZ
Plenty of Aetna Rosso and Sherry
La Lagune
Ramonet reds
Louis Michel esp. MdT
Every wine from Goodfellow
Leeuwin Art Series chard particularly with age

Edit: Leaving the Etna Rosso autocorrect fail because it is horrible and funny.

1 Like

It is a bit richer + riper than my usual vibe.

Not a bad wine by any means, just not my first choice.

I usually like my Bordeaux well under 14%.

2 Likes

Hard to argue against this advice!!!

I agree. I stopped buying after Derenoncourt was brought in as a consultant. The wine got glossy, as expected. I should note that Lanessan hired Bouard for 2015+. It shows. I’ve backfilled like crazy on the excellent 2014.

I missed referring Chasse Spleen. Major winner. The 2016 slays as a QPR. So does Ferriere, but now we are getting into the $50 range.

Great call above on Pegau. Blows me away that this domain has kept prices so incredibly reasonable and quite flat for a very long time. I’ve been buying 2017, 18 and 19 somewhere between 45 and $50 per bottle. That is dirt cheap for a wine of this quality, coming from such an historic estate.

3 Likes

Agrapart Terroirs and 7 Cru. What is the price of joy in a bottle?

1 Like