TN: 2016 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard

I felt this deserved its own thread. As Chris C would say, a glorious, glorious wine.

Boy, I am glad I ordered two more of these after checking in on it during a tasting at Sasha’s in Demun when Chris Cottrell was visiting St. Louis. Opened to commemorate the Bedrock Fall 2022 release.

On the nose the wine is subdued, with faint aromas of smoke, black pepper, crushed rocks, and dusky black cherries. In comparison the wine has an explosion of flavor on the palate, with a cornucopia of luscious mulberry, crème de mûre, black licorice, and dried blueberry fruit notes, with undulating savory elements of black pepper, garrigue, graphite, and leather. Concentrated in flavor yet only medium in body, with resolved tannins. The alcohol barely shows as blue/black fruit, supported by the bright acidity takes center stage. This is in a wonderful spot right now. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

6 Likes

glad I saw this AFTER I had already placed my order AND amended it with Jackie once to add more bottles. I dont need any more bedrock temptation until the next release podcast! lol

Damn that’s a great note, Brian! Thanks buddy.

I’ve been backfilling off WineBid recently, like 1-2 bottles every week. Seems to be a lot on there, and nice to grab some with some years on it, since I drank those years way too fast!

I’ll search this one out. You’ve got a great palate for this stuff.

3 Likes

shhhh… no one needs to know that there’s been a plethora of release-priced bedrock on winebid with like 5-8 years on it.

I won’t be fighting you guys for it haha

Bud!! This sounds amazing!! I haven’t cracked into the 16’s yet other than a Dolinsek the other day (which I oddly didn’t love) and an Esola (which was fire!). Im going to get one of these on deck!!

Thanks for posting!

Have the prices come down at all?? They started off SUPER aggressive!

Thanks for the note. I see I have 4 bottles!

You were spot on that this is ready on PnP. Not sure I can add anything to your note but what hit me was the mouthful. It was an attack that continued into a long long finish.

3 Likes

Yeah, at the tasting I went to they were pouring directly from bottle and I was surprised how ready it was without a decant given the vintage.

I saved some of the rest for tonight, I’ll post more notes later if there’s anything worth mentioning.

I am finishing what’s left of the bottle. Seems a little harsh tonight. I definitely liked it better on night one and will most likely drink my remaining bottle over the next year.

1 Like

Yeah, my glass last night still had the flavors but texturally was more astringent.

1 Like

Ok fellas. You know I love ya, and that I agree with you on Bedrock wines 99.9% of the time…but im just not feeling this 16 Carlisle. I totally agree that its subdued on the nose…but the problem is that it’s the same on the palate for me. Not much fruit, spice, or really anything. I hate to say it…but it’s bordering on thin/boring to me. I’ve been working on a glass for almost 45 minutes now and it hasn’t really budged. Hoping some more air will help but I know you both said it was best at pnp.

Off bottle? My palate is shitty? Probably both, but im sadly not getting the fireworks that you two did :frowning:

Still love ya both though, ha! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Bummer Rich. You forgot to add that yesterday was a leaf day in you believe in that type of thing.

Yeah man, I’m pretty sure the bottle is a little off. There just wasn’t anything there at all. Not offensive…just flat and thin.
Saved some for today so we’ll see if its improved at all.

Just opened one of these last night and drank after an hour decant. Agree with some comments that call it more subdued than standard Bedrock fare, in that the fruit was more of the dry kind and subdued beneath notes like leather, tobacco, olive, and ground pepper. Enjoyable, especially with smoked brisket, and probably particularly so for the more ‘old world’ palates, but far from my favorite Bedrock.

1 Like

I had a 16’ Carlisle, from Carlisle and it was jammy as all can be last month.