TNs: Some casual champagnes

CASUAL CHAMPAGNES - (16/7/2022)

• NV Adrien Renoir Champagne Grand Cru Le Terroir Extra Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Consistent with the last two times that I had this bottle. Appealing ripe citrus fruits , good precision for an entry-level. (91 pts.)
  • NV Doyard Champagne Grand Cru Révolution Blanc de Blancs Non Dosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    First time trying Doyard and liked both that were brought by a generous friend. The ripe fruit covered the zero dosage well, didn’t feel out of balance. Very elegant style. (91 pts.)
  • 2008 J.L. Vergnon Expression - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Took time to get going. On opening this didn’t show well, I thought this was from a weaker vintage from the muddled fruit. After aeration, some green apple fruit began to show but didn’t really ever have the laser acidity or cut that I expected from a 2008. (88 pts.)
  • 2012 Drappier Champagne Brut Millésimé Exception - France, Champagne
    The heaviest champagne of the flight with generous red apple fruit that showed more of its Pinot side even though it was a 60/40 blend. Didn’t make much of an impression otherwise. (88 pts.)
  • 2015 Louis Roederer Champagne Vintage Brut Rosé - France, Champagne
    Signature Roederer nose with the strong reduction note that made it easy to guess. Warm fruit that made me guess 2012, started off light but put on weight with air. Fans of the generous house style will like this but preferred the 2013 I had earlier this year which had greater clarity and depth. (90 pts.)
  • NV Agrapart Champagne Grand Cru Terroirs Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    2016 base, 2018 disgorgement. Best Agrapart that I have had, no underripe fruit or greenness but had the signature high acidity. Lovely salinity and a full mouthfeel that made me guess a Pinot-heavy champagne. (91 pts.)
  • NV Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Reserve Mis en Cave 2009 - France, Champagne
    2008 base. Found this for a good price at auction, these old Charles Heidsieck NVs are real gems. Lots of gunflint and brioche notes on the nose, rich and full but had the acidity from the vintage and a complexity that only age could bring. Preferred the stunning 2007 base that I had last year which less full-on, but still a great drink. (92 pts.)
  • NV Doyard Champagne La Libertine - France, Champagne
    First time trying Doyard and liked both that were brought by a generous friend. Such a unique champagne, quite round and lush but not too sweet given the anachronistic dosage that was more commonly seen centuries ago. Nose of Christmas mince pie, great with dessert. Probably my favourite for its unique style. (94 pts.)

3 Likes