TNs: Weekend wines, mostly Burgundies

CASUAL THEME AT DIBBS’S - (9/7/2022)

• 2019 Les Cailloux (Lucien et André Brunel) Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Brought this as leftovers. More aromatic and true to its origins on the first day with a waxy texture and some honey and apricot notes. But when tasted on the second day there was some petroleum that led people to Riesling. Not the biggest fan of Rhone whites in general and this didn’t do much to change my mind. (88 pts.)
  • 2017 Massetti Francesco Trebbiano Mezzo Pieno Colli Aprutini IGT - Italy, Abruzzi, Colli Aprutini IGT
    Dark yellow in colour, guessed this right by pure luck - thought it was a warm climate white for sure so plumped for Italy. Slightly distracting apple juice note that I didn’t quite like. Proved to be a versatile pairing with food. (89 pts.)
  • 2003 Daniel Moine-Hudelot Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru
    Decidedly old-school Burg with a cola and liquorice note on the nose that made me think Laurent given the person who opened it. Preferred the palate which gradually became more elegant with air despite the massive structure behind the wine. First time having this defunct producer and while not quite hitting the heights of top Burgundy, was nonetheless quite pleasurable. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Nicolas Rossignol Volnay 1er Cru Santenots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru
    Couldn’t make my mind up about this wine. It oscillated between being dense and dark with prominent alcohol and bitterness on the finish, but showed glimpses of silky tannins and a nice salinity on the finish. Probably needs more time. (90 pts.)
  • 2013 Domaine Chandon de Briailles Corton-Bressandes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru
    Surprisingly light-footed for a Corton with a perfumed nose, not as unyielding as expected for this producer but over time the tannins began to show, and the wine became more brooding and shut. Definitely nowhere near ready to go… (90 pts.)

67PM DINNER - (10/7/2022)

Dinner at 67PM and have to say their Asian food is very well done - liked the Bang Bang Burrata, Laksa and Tandoori Chicken. Also tried a few samples of excellent, albeit young wines. All wines BTG, I have also noticed that the use of the coravin mutes the smell of the wines, even if the taste is not impacted.

• 2016 Roagna Barbaresco Vecchie Viti Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    The best wine of the lot. My first Roagna and I wanted to be disappointed by this, but it really showed what a great producer and vintage can achieve. Remarkably silky tannins with great verve and power, very pure raspberry and cherry fruit. Didn’t want the lingering finish to end.
  • 2016 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    Seriously impressive village wine, some similarities to the Roagna in terms of purity of red cherry fruit. Surprised it was so elegant and approachable for the village and producer, no harm popping one now for sure. Definitely one of the best in its class.
  • 2017 Domaine Bruno Clair Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru
    Not as open as the two wines that came before. Darker fruits with more earth, not as delineated and showing as much at the moment. Massive structure that needs time to unfurl despite the more approachable vintage.
  • 2019 Domaine Sylvain Pataille Marsannay Clos du Roy - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Marsannay
    Very clean and pure red raspberry fruits similar to the basic Marsannay I tried last month, but with the fruit intensity and structure dialled up a notch. Tried a few 2019s with Syrah-like colours but this was pleasantly lighter in terms of colour and density. His crunchy red fruit style is definitely in my wheelhouse.
  • 2018 Domaine Bernard Moreau et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
    I think Bernard Moreau handles warmer vintages superbly and this was a great example. Wouldn’t have guessed a warm vintage with its vibrant yellow fruit, fantastic tension and acidity. Shame I didn’t buy more of his wines before prices went up.
  • 2018 Domaine des Lambrays Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Noticeably riper and had a creamier texture than the Moreau alongside, but still restrained for a hot vintage. A step behind the Moreau but still very good.

2 Likes

All of it sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like