TN: 2014 Bernard Baudry, Les Grézeaux.

Got inspired by all the Baurdy chatter lately. So popped one.

Bernard Baudry, Les Grézeaux, 2014.

I was surprised how ready this was as pop and pour. It has an absolutely gorgeous red fruit profile with a lot of raspberries and some darker cherries filling out the background. There is a very expressive and gorgeous floral quality that hits your nose instantly along with the red fruit. Afterwards a sweetish sensation hits the nose, but it does not translate onto the palate. You also get a bit of an immature green note, some herbs and a little spice. All expected, but they remain firmly in the background of the fruit notes, at the moment, and just adds that extra layer of complexity and typicity. You also get some barnyard notes which i personally love. Acidity, alcohol, tannnis… all those elements are so well balanced. Nothing ripe here. 2014 is a tremendous vintage for Baudry, and this is up there with the 2014 Croix Boissée that started my whole Loire Cabernet Franc fascination.

Bought on auction a few months ago for 25€. Hard to find a better wine at that price point for me. But it is not just a value wine, it is just a great wine overall if you like Cabernet Franc.

I don’t rate wine, but my inner James Suckling would certainly roll a very high digit on the rating dice.

Baudry and the 2014 Chinon vintages slayed!

Great note, thanks for the check-in!

I really wish I could backfill more 14’s. I have a few bottles from proper storage, but my auction luck has been less good. 50% or so of my auction 14’s had issues so far.

Sounds excellent Lasse! Thanks for the tip! Sorry that not all your 14s have been so good.

Lasse -

Did you get any 2014 Raffault Les Picasses? Really good in this vintage, I bought 18 bottles, reloaded after trying. It’s still available in the States.

Yes i tried it. That and a 05. But there is something about the Raffault wines that doesn’t work for me…

i have an 05 picasses on death row for this week…

4D83AB5E-05FA-49F5-B3F2-9A207D905817.gif