TNs--Lunch with Friends at Langdon Hall--Cotat & Leroux

Tran Bronstein, Michael Wright and I enjoyed a perfect mid-afternoon’s weather for lunch at one of our favourite out-of-town locations, Langdon Hall. It was a pleasure to dine with my two friends. Michael generously ordered something off the fine list at LH and I brought our other contrib.

2018 Francois Cotat Sancerre Cul de Beaujeu

Someday, maybe, I’ll keep my paws off of one of these to actually age it. But it’s so hard. 'cause they’re so good. The first sniff, some unusual-for-him tropical top notes show up along with sweet lime. Those carry into the taste with an almost-creamy mouthfeel. Ah…but after about 3 degrees of chilling, amazing transformation—the lime and some fresh slate really take hold and it shows beautiful, clean and clear texture. Maybe some peach blossoms to round things off. This was awfully good and paired with a bunch of stuff. Honestly, maybe one of the best Cotats, from either branch of the family, I’ve ever had.

2016 Benjamin Leroux Chassagne Embazees

This also benefitted from some chilling, becoming more composed and complete as it cooled down. Binned apple, lemon tart and faint tinges of flint and hay are in this wine. It is a little full and gentler than would be usual, a clear sign to me of the vintage. Michael had the scallops as his main and I’m sure this must have been dynamite with that. Very well made wine, nothing to complain of here.

Service, as always, was splendid and we particularly enjoyed chatting with new Somm Steven. Another great day!

Salud,

Mike

2 Likes