Four vintages of Vieux Chateau Certan 2005, 1989, 1975 and 1970.

Piecing this together, and to be honest somewhat delayed.

1. From half bottle.

I tasted this En Primeur, and along with Ausone thought it to be the best Right Bank wine, beating out the the likes of Petrus and Cheval Blanc and Lafleur. My notes talked about a packed, incredibly complex, concentrated wine that was not overly heavy, and with a massive finish.

This the third bottle I have tasted since. You will note it’s from half bottle as the other two were in a very dumb phase, so it made sense not to risk a full bottle. Even so, I gave it an hour in the decanter.
The nose was a combination of cassis, red fruit, rose hips and spice. Certainly a lot more open than before, but still a long way from maturity. Balance was impeccable, finish long and easy. This will be very special indeed.

1989 From magnum
Marcus and Meghan joined us from Goodfellow along with some close friends. This showed beautifully, fully mature with plenty of fruit, a lot of floral notes, a tiny bit of the ferric which was the dominant note of the 1975, but also licorice and the scent of dry leaves. Again the balance was perfect, just enough acidity to keep things fresh, and a long layered finish. While I thought this a gorgeous wine, I think the ‘05 may actually end up a tad better.

I gave the game away by mentioning a fairly dominant note of iron. We were split on this wine; I found there was plenty to offset the note, particularly as the wine warmed up. Some fruit, mushroom and again that hallmark balance.

Served on the front porch with a friend. A lovely example of mature Bordeaux. Quite fresh, the Cabernet, which is a serious part of the blend, giving it a cassis backbone, against which the other flavors played. Spice, licorice and forest floor. The finish was actually quite impressive. This was good and traditional claret without perhaps the finesse I noted in the 1989, and which I am sure I will see with the 2005.

3 Likes

Love VCC, been wanting to check in on 2008, but have been a little gun shy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the notes. I have bottle of 1989 that I’ve been eyeing for the near-term, sounds like it’s in a good spot!

2 Likes

From magnum, it was in a great place. A bottle should be gorgeous, if a little more tertiary.

Tonight we opened a bottle of Henriot 1996, and for fun a another half of VCC 2005.

This was more closed, took a good two hours but ended up being really rather fantastic, maybe a couple of points higher than the previous bottle.
The Henriot was solid, very mature and should be drunk soon.

Henriot 1996 was a memorable sales memory for me as I got it by the glass at Canlis in WA, replacing Moet for the first time in the history of that restaurant. The 1996 was about $25 wholesale back then.

Reminds me I have 1 mag of 1988 Henriot Enchanteleurs left that I need to open.

1 Like

Nice memory.