TN: 2012 Calabretta Nerello Mascalese Sicilia Vigne Vecchie (Italy, Sicily, Sicilia)

• 2012 Calabretta Nerello Mascalese Sicilia Vigne Vecchie - Italy, Sicily, Sicilia (7/4/2022)
    One word sums up this wine as it we best spoken the Enterprises science officer: “fascinating”. Indeed what great, unique, tasty, wine geek, crowd pleaser etc etc. In defining the fruit profile, it initially came across as almost Gamay like, pungent strawberry, but as it progressed, certainly cut from a different cloth. I finally came up with dark plums spliced with junniper berries. Ok, I’ll shut up now, this was fantastic and only $33. Love Calabretta. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Is it true this vintage is 16% ABV? I’m guessing it must not taste like it

1 Like

I find their stated abv’s suspect. The 2011 said 15% and felt/tasted nowhere near that. If those levels are accurate I’m stunned they hide it so well. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a CT note mention alcohol or heat either. Would love to see a lab report of the actual number. Haven’t had the ‘12 yet.

1 Like

Hi Chris and Michael, Had you not mentioned it - I never for one second thought about heat or ABV last night - and I spent a good two hrs with it. I re-read Eric Guidos note and looked at the label, sure enough - 16%. I’m having Saxum tonight that is 15.9% (18 4 Hearts) and while I love these wines, you can feel the density without much effort. Not at all with this wine. Perhaps a mistake on the label?

1 Like

have you tried the 2011?

I used to love Calabretta, but ran into a series of multiple corked bottles. I never noticed a high ABV in the unflawed bottles.