TN: A casual dinner with Cristal and Monty

A bit of a rough day emotionally, so we felt like it was a good excuse to open some good stuff.

• 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (7/2/2022)
    PnP a small glass then recork for an hour in the fridge. So tight at first but really benefits from the air. Nose is full and bright with lemon and orange zest and toast points. Creamy and delicious with lemon curd and bright acidity. This is such a classy drink and in a good place, but with tons of upside. (95 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Lamy-Pillot Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Montrachet Grand Cru (7/2/2022)
    Double decant 90 min. Natural cork. Beautiful color. Nose pops with white flowers, mineral and a puff of vanillin. Great weight and density. Palate is reticent, but lovely. Medium light acidity belies the vintage. Very drinkable and enjoyable, but so young. Will improve with a few years for the oak to continue to integrate and the palate to open up more. 94 pt potential. (94 pts.)
1 Like

Day 2 on the Monty: oak has completely blown off and the acid has joined the party. This is in the zone with layer upon layer of bright citrus, floral notes, stoney minerality, exotic white fruit framed by a crisp acid backbone. Tons of weight material here that tickles the palate from all sides. 97 pts.

This is an absolutely terrific wine that now shows nothing of the much maligned vintage. Just needs time to shed the baby fat.

2 Likes

Good work Andrew. So far I’ve enjoyed all the 2018 white burgundy we’ve opened.

1 Like

Thanks Andrew,

That '08 Cristal was one of the tightest Champagnes I have ever encountered on release. Brilliant potential though.

I reckon the '18 whites are just starting to show very nicely.