A Good Time Was Had - Yquem, Beaucastel VV, Clos de la Roche, Krug Rose

We hosted a local wine shop owner who does such a good job educating with interesting wines and wine pairings. She had me at sparkling Loire and Blaufränkisch. So as a thank you for her efforts on educating and for her generosity in charitable endeavors within our community we had her over for a dinner

Amuse Bouche – Almonds and Strawberries
NV Brimontcourt Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut – Bright, some apple, mousse, minerality. A good introduction for the evening.

Course One – Arugula Salad
NV Krug Champagne Rose – (purchased about eight years ago). An exquisite bottle, strawberry, a lovely nuttiness, and a balanced long finish, just wonderful.

Course Two – Lobster Tails Tarragon
2009 Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes – Worried about how this would show, decanted about three hours ahead of time, tasted multiple times in the interim, tight so I decanted again. Poured into glasses and it began to show well. Peach and other citrus including some apricot, minerals, and a slightly tart finish. Fruit became more pronounced as evening progressed. WOTN for three of us. Paired beautifully with the lobster (thank you certain WB members for the rec.).

Course Three – Mushroom Pasta
2005 Louis Jadot Clos de la Roche Grand Cru – Decanted and poured about two hours later. This was a beautiful bottle. Nose of red berries, full mouth added some light plum, finish was pleasing and delicious, excellent pairing.
2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace – Not sure why I opened this bottle, I guess iI was thinking old world / new world highlights. Decanted and then poured. It showed well, balanced not overblown, but should have been tried on a different day. Saved much for it for the next day, and it was indeed pleasing. The burgundy and pasta were more than enough.

Course Four – Lamb Chops
1999 E. Guigal Hermitage – A very good bottle, decanted for sediment and poured. Nose of violets, dark and red berry, meat, and pepper added in the mouth, finish had a light “sweetness.” Probably as good as it could have gotten. Excellent with the lamb.

Course Five – Dessert Chocolate Ganache
2003 Baumard Quarts de Chaume – Golden hue, nose of citrus with honey the dominant as well as in the taste, sweet, naturally, but a great backbone that made this a great pairing. Nicely done.

Course Six – Roquefort Cheese
1997 Château d’Yquem (375ml) – By now we were all close to the edge. The cheese course could have been omitted but I am glad it wasn’t. This wine is of course exceptional, it shows well with anything and with nothing. But I just love it with blue cheeses, and the Roquefort was a magical way to end the evening.

All wines showed well, and we were all pleased with the pairings. A big thank you and celebration.

Sounds great. Rhys the New World oddball, I can see where it was out of place.

CdP with Lobster! I’ll have to try that pairing

I’m assuming it was the blanc?

You are right. Must have been with that tasting note

Yes, it was the blanc Vieilles Vignes. And the lobster tails tarragon was suggested by a couple of board members. It was an excellent pairing.

1 Like

Wow 05 jadot grand cru seemed ready?

I do not have the GC / PC Burgundy experience to opine that. It showed and paired well; it was an exceptional bottle in my world. I am guessing that this '05 will have a long life and is years from apogee. YMMV.