Wine impressions 7-3-22

Wine impressions 7-3-22

2019 Vincent, Pinot Noir Temperance Hill - decanted prior to service; the aroma is like someone used cherry branches and lavender to disperse the ashes of a camp fire and the cherry/lavender theme carries thru in the mouth, virtually weightless delivery, silky and with perfect balance. While young this is still approachable. 12.2% abv.
A character driven wine with a terrific future.

2014 Louis Michel, Chablis Vaudesir - I’ve had this three times since release and it has never been right. Even less right now; lactic, oxidative, unformed; just bad wine. Down the drain. And that is a first for me with this producer.
(Aside: CellarTracker and several friends laud this wine so it appears that the case my bottles came from got cooked or otherwise damaged. In any event, my bottles do not appear to be indicative of this wine on the whole.) Ah, what might have been . . .

2018 and 2019 Vincent, Pinot Noir Armstrong Vineyard - the ‘18 is ponderous compared to the ‘19 but neither is ready. These need a minimum of three years or serious decanter time. Sound, good, balanced and promising but nowhere near ready. And for the moment, neither is in the same world as the Temperance Hill noted above.
On day two, the ‘19 was much more approachable and quite balanced and delicious. It had become more lithe but had also broadened over the palate without losing detail and focus. When this is “ready” it should be sensational.

2019 Louis Michel, Chablis Forets - electric, focused and showing painfully young but miles ahead of the Vaudesir which it replaced when we dumped the former. It’s almost hard edged but not quite.

2020 Dom. Pepiere, Muscadet La Pepie - the energy in this wine sizzles; crisp, white fruit and stone scents and flavors, great cut and length. The best $16 wine I’ve had in years. Bravo!

2009 Cowan Cellars, Syrah Dry Stack Vineyard - I never really liked this wine finding it thin and a bit too earthy. But 13 years has made a difference and now it’s a mid-weight, savory and complex drink that is more Northern Rhône than Sonoma County. A nice surprise.

2018 Dom. Vissoux, Moulin a Vent Les Trois Roches - I expected a big, rich wine but found a balanced, layered Gamay with nice complexity. The fruit is forward but not overwhelming and the textures are satin. Quite good.

2020 Louis Michel, Chablis - perfectly charming on day one but I left a third of the bottle re-corked and in the fridge over night. The next day it had emerged into a stony power-house of a Chablis with density at Premier Cru levels and considerable length. The change was remarkable. Maybe I’ll let this age awhile . . .

Best, Jim

4 Likes

Love Louis Michel and Vissoux!

Jim, the pleasure of the basic Pepiere Muscadet Sur Lie in a good year is undeniable. It reminds me of the best that good Muscadet offered before the movement to vineyard designated and ‘Cru’ versions. Michel Bregeon’s basic offering is another one that I like.Too bad about the ‘14 Chablis. Cheers.

Thanks for the notes Jim. Any recent experience with ‘15 or ‘16 Trois Roches?

None.
I don’t drink near enough Beaujolais - but I plan to correct that.:sunglasses: