Sharing Tastings in Napa?

Producers where you don’t have a relationship may be peeved to have you take up 2 seats but only pay for 1. Virtually all of them are capacity limited.

Just spit … it’s not at all weird or frowned upon.

How much will losing your driver’s license cost you?

3 Likes

You’ll still be tasting the wine.
I always spit when driving and doing winery visits.

2 Likes

Agreed but that is the main reason when we visited California we went to the Central Coast instead. Much more reasonable tasting fees and still excellent wines. Plus we could actually afford to buy 6 to 12 bottles at the places we visited.

2 Likes

Definitely spit. Not worth a DUI or an accident otherwise.
Not trying to be argumentative but you have a problem with the tasting fees at Napa wineries where the average bottle of wine will cost $100 plus?
On a positive note, if you buy a few bottles most will waive one or both of the tasting fees.

I want to be clear on this, I’m extraordinarily conservative when it comes to drinking and driving. I refuse to drive even if I’m just a bit tipsy, I hope my responses don’t indicate otherwise, because I’ll never risk my license / safety over a few drinks. I’m a big guy, so two tastings over 5+ hours doesn’t even leave me buzzed. Buzzed driving is drunk driving, and I implore anyone reading this to be conservative on this.

It’s not spit or drink. Spit most and drink some. While the tasting fees are outrageous, is it really that big a $ amount flying from NYC? Maybe you’re staying with friends and work for the airline industry.
Also, if they’ll let you split go ahead and split.
Like asking about corkage just call ahead about splitting.

Wow folks. There should be no problem splitting tastings whatsoever. This should be about customer service - period. Personally, if a winery were not willing to do this, I would move on to another one . . .but perhaps it’s just me.

Flame away all.

10 Likes

I bought and started using a BAC monitor years ago whenever tasting I realized I had no clue how much alcohol I was actually consuming even when spitting. A DUI, while a bad thing for a whole bunch of reasons, could have had serious employment consequences given my security clearance at the time. It provided a good deal of reassurance and I learned I had been very conservative but still could enjoy things without being worried about it. You also have to remember there is a delay in peak blood concentration and factor that in. I have a good feel now for what it takes to get to 0.02 or 0.04.

It’s up to the winery to set the terms and conditions. The buyer has a right to disclosure about the T&C. I’m not flaming you. I agree with you,if you want to split and the winery won’t do it just move on. Or just go to Sonoma.

Most Napa tastings now are seated and aren’t feasibly set up for splitting tastings. You’re paying for the seating. There are a limited number of seats. If you make a reservation for a tasting experience for 2 people, then the winery is servicing 2 people.

I agree though, if you’re in a taste-at-the-bar situation, you should definitely be able to split tastings.

I hear you, but ‘feasible’ is a relative term. Wineries choose thier policies, and consumers should choose theirs based on what they feel is fair . . .

Cheers.

1 Like

Larry you are making too much sense! Agree the customer service and education of the wines should come first over worrying about a couple splitting a tasting fee to be safer guests.

1 Like

For splitting tastings I would take the same approach i do with bringing kids to tastings. Call the winery and ask. Some places are more than welcoming and some have hard no kids policies. When we travel with the kids, we just go to the places that align with our family. No hard feelings with the places that don’t allow kids we just go when it’s an adult only trip.

I think you also need to make sure you aren’t creating a false dichotomy. You can drink some, spit some, split some if you figure out policies at the places you are going. It’s not all or nothing.

Or just hit the easy button, get a driver and don’t worry about any of this.

1 Like

I’d be willing to bet the vast majority of those looking to split a tasting are doing so to reduce the cost, not for safety.

1 Like

This. Intake issues aside, it seems to be more difficult to just drop in, taste a little, and move on. Tastings are becoming events, and are being priced accordingly.

1 Like

This. If you have made a reservation for 2, you should take 2 tastings. Period. I have said this over and over, what is a hobby for many of you is a business for the winery. A business like any other business. It can’t absorb the expense of opening bottle after bottle for zero dollars. They (we) have to make money one (or 2!) way or another - wine sales or “wine experiences.”

Not everyone can afford the top end tastings, which come complete with a meal or even caviar. If you can’t afford it, don’t book it.

5 Likes

I just wish the wineries would clearly state their policy. If they will waive a tasting fee with bottle purchase, say so. If sharing is ok, say so. Waiving a $50 fee with bottle purchase may influence whether I visit or not.

1 Like