Wine list help Steamboat Springs CO

Heading to Cafe Diva later this week in steamboat springs and need some help on this wine list. It’s not the best list, but steamboat isn’t really a wine town.
Would love to hear any thoughts.
Thanks!

http://www.cafediva.com/wine-list

Wow, big wine list but serious markup, pretty much 3x across the board. Welcome to Colorado resort pricing!

I’d go for the Machete at $149 or the Prisoner at $110… joking!

Not sure what type or price range you are thinking but the Teeter-Totter Cab is a side label from Benoit Touquette at $146 will be good and around 2x markup a decent value.

I didn’t take much of a look past US Red Blends.

Make sure to get a smoked walnut old fashioned at the Steamboat Whiskey Company.

The town is packed right now. Just got back. Traffic in paradise.

This should go with most cuisines without taking out a 2nd mortgage.

1. Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva (easy solid starter)
  2. Xavier Monnot Les Cent Vignes 1er Beaune (2017) – vintage drinking nicely right now
    or Pierre Gelin, Fixin (underrated area)
  3. Neil Ellis Cabernet, Stellenbosch (value region and nice vintage)

The order on #1 and 2 may be dictated by food selection.

Good luck and cheers!

It’s a good list, though expensive of course. Are you looking for moderately priced bottles or premium ones?

2020 Cloudy Bay SB is an excellent wine. Much more mineral driven, less fruity, than normal.

2018 Musar “Hochar” should be great with a decant.

It’s a good list, though expensive of course. Are you looking for moderately priced bottles or premium ones?

2020 Cloudy Bay SB is an excellent wine. Much more mineral driven, less fruity, than normal. $90

2018 Musar “Hochar” should be great with a decant. $80

The Bereche Rive Gauche champagne gets high marks on CT, retails for $90-100 (but isn’t necessarily very easy to find).

The DuMol pinot noir seems like a reasonable purchase (retail=~$70), and the Magna Porcum and Foxen pinot noirs are also contenders – the former likely to be a little more robust, the latter more fruity.

I’ve never heard of the Decades 5 petit verdot, but CT reviews are favorable and, in principle, the best retail price is $153.

I’d go for below…

Owen Roe Pinot Gris
Dujac Malconsorts
Dujac Clos de la Roche

LOL, misprinted prices. Probably missing the leading 1.

I had it once (2010 I think). It’s a delicious wine, though definitely on the modern and showy side of the spectrum. Not like overly sweet or an oak bomb, but velvety and ripe. Still has PV character.

It would be an adventurous choice, but a good one.

1 Like

Worth the ask, for sure.

I’d buy all the Dujac Malconsorts and take it home. $202 for a 750ml?!? Or is that the glass price…

The Musar is pretty reasonably priced, just very young so likely will need a long decant.

Am I the only one laughing at these “fancy name here” wine lists?

Like Musar “Hochar”. Like, you know, every other Musar?

Or even better, Veuve Clicquot “Yellow Label”, as in, the “Cheapest blend available”.

There’s even one for Otto Forsberg! Two Hands “Sexy Beast” Cab. I bet they call it smooth and velvety!

I think the formatting is off if you look closely.
It appears to be the 2012 vintage for ~$500-- - still not a crazy price.

1 Like

I think it’s referring to the Musar Hochar pere et Fils. It’s a Grenache based wine of theirs which sells for about 50-60% the price of the grand vin.

It’s a good wine. Darker and fuller bodied in style than the grand vin, but with the house style and spirit.

Shoot, that’s a great point. Which also makes this not such a great deal.

That 2018 Hochar is a $30-35 wine at retail in the USA. So it’s hardly a steal at $80 on that list, but it is probably better than average value among those options.

More importantly, it’s a good wine for $80.

Most of the old world whites are not unreasonably priced, that’s where I’d be camping out. Obviously depends on your tastes, but I could drink pretty well from this list.

Quite possibly the only Berserker Day wine on the list, 2019 JB Neufeld Cabernet Sauvignon, $98. ~3x mark up and way too young, imo, buy interesting to me that it’s on the list.