White wine for three-meat meatloaf?

Any success or thoughts? Pork and veal join beef in the meat mixture, so a white wine might not be outlandish. The sauce is ketchup based, but served on the side, so maybe not an obstacle to pairing.

Most important thing with that meal is getting enough acid to cut through the meat and enough sweetness to balance the ketchup-based sauce. Low (not-no) dosage bubbles would be great, but I usually go for a slightly off-dry riesling. Basic but works great.

2 Likes

I think aged Alsace would be great. Pinot Blanc or Riesling or some kind of field blend.

Might be fun with Chard. Chard and white Burgundy work really well with beef stew and that made me think of this.

The meat combo would work great with Chardonnay, I agree - the ketchup-based sauce makes it tough, but makes it tough for ANY wine, really. I say go with Chardonnay

Fiano could be good

Krug!

Not a white, but almost…a skin contact white would work well here, a skin contact Pinot Gris for example (with more SC than less, e.g. more than 3 days of SC which some folks do).

A Gruner Veltliner would also work well (pairing with meat…I’m less sure about the ketchup part here). (Later addition:) Come to think of it, Gruner usually/always has excellent acidity so it should be fine with tomatoes/ketchup.

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tonight I went with an off dry riesling since we had one in the refrigerator - 2017 AJ Adam Hofberg Kabinett. This wine actually paired quite well with both the meat and the sauce just as Adam said. I was kind of surprised, but Riesling is so versatile and seems to adjust to get along with a wide range of dishes. I am also intrigued by the Chardonnay rec and also with the Fiano suggestion. We will have meatloaf leftovers in a few days, and I may try glasses of one or both of these.
Thanks again.

I propose a Berserkers rule barring Champagne as an answer in threads of the form “what wine should I serve with this food?” It’s like the free square on the bingo card.

1 Like

Wait I thought Riesling was the free square.

I would go with a weighty white… Northern Rhone or Alsace Pinot Gris. If you want to go slumming, a fat, soft oaky Napa Chardonnay with plenty of residual sugar.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

[rofl.gif]

In my defense, Champagne is never my stock answer to “what wine should I serve with X” - that will usually be red and if white, something without bubbles. But Krug is my standard answer for “what white wine should I serve with this meat dish?” which is a much more specific question. champagne.gif

Versatile it is, had the exact same wine tonight with a Flannery pork cap/sweet corn/maters…