Austrian White for Wedding

I’m helping my sister pick the wine for her wedding and she decided that she would like an Austrian white. I’m hoping to find something inexpensive (sub $25 in Seattle) and easily drinkable. I’m not very familiar with the with the region and with the limited selectionin Alaska, I haven’t found anything that I’d serve. Does anyone have a wine they’d suggest?

If you can find it, Glatzer Sauvignon Blanc is very good and would be a crowd pleaser.

I have many suggestions, but no idea what’s available in Seattle.
Either a Sauvignon blanc or a Morillon from Southern Styria - or a Grüner Veltliner or Riesling from Lower Austria (Kamptal, Weinviertel, Traisental …), Wachau might be too expensive.

Schloss Gobelsburg’s Kamptal Grüner Veltliner is around $15 and has been a wonderful value the past few vintages.

+1. Exactly what I was going to suggest. While there are some great Sauv Blancs and Rieslings out of Austria, I would not choose one for a wedding. You should choose something with mass appeal, and many people just don’t like the flavor profile or aromatics of wines made from these grapes. On the other hand, it’s hard to be offended by a well made Gruner, and the Schloss Gobelsburg is a perfect example. And within your budget. And widely available.

Also, not sure of the reason she specifically wants to go with Austrian wine, but don’t think there is a variety any more quintessentially Austrian than Gruner.

1 Like

Agree, GV Gobelsburg is a good choice when available …

1 Like

Agree GV us the way to go and Gobelsburg a fine choice. Bründlmayer is a good option if Gobelsburg is not in the Seattle market.

Bernhard Ott am berg GV is also a fine choice.

I like the schloss gobelsberg rec

a couple others.
nigl freiheit
meinklang burgenland white- aromatic and fun
ott fass 4

i think these should be in the price range.

happy hunting!

+1 on the Nigl Freiheit. We tasted this a few years ago at a tasting and it is now an annual purchase, and right around $20.

I’ll second Nigl and Gobelsburg as producers, and add Hiedler. The entry-level wines from all these producers are quite satisfying.

I disagree with the choice of GV – IME, this is more off putting than Riesling is. I’ve rarely seen newbies who cared much for GV, while Riesling is often love-it-or-hate-it.

Frankly, I think the best choice from Austria would be the Gobelsburg Cistercien rose. It’s a total crowd pleaser, and quite dry and acidic and light-bodied, it will work very, very well with most chicken / salmon / tuna dishes, and probably also work well enough with cod or halibut. It does very well chilled to “white wine temperature.”

Skip the Sauvignon Blanc (50% of the crowd will hate it) -you want Gruner Veltliner, and go with the producers doing Liter bottles. Berger, Pratsch and Ecker-Eckhof would all be under $20.00 a bottle, and a full liter of wine per bottle -

By far, Austria’s greatest bargains -