2013 Silver Mountain Pinot Noir, Santa Cruz Mountains

Non-commercial post: I represented this producer for a few years in the DC metro area about 30 years ago.

I just bought 6 bottles for ~$20/btl, delivered. I’m very happy.

Medium garnet with no bricking. The aromas are surprisingly peppery; less surprising is the hint of conifer, and the black cherries bring you home to Pinot, even though it’s an idiosyncratic version.
The palate has enough finesse to let you know it’s Pinot, but there’s more heft than expected on the first sip and not a lot of subtlety. From the next sip on, it develops lovely nuances, there are floral hints, the conifer persists; this declaims Santa Cruz Mountains, there’s lace, dense by Pinot standards but without the heaviness of so much other CA Pinot. The finish is long and outstanding, with a rich intricacy. There are cherries, and even some plums in the background. There’s spice, a light grainy hint, and a hint of bay leaf. This is a wonderful glass once it gets some air. Rated 92.5.

Dan Kravitz

4 Likes

Jerold O’Brien would be happy to see. Don’t think he reads berserkers. Jerold told me he was retiring and he has handed the winemaking duties over to another local wine maker. Unfortunately, I can’t say I am a fan of this wine makers style. Usually on the riper side of what I prefer and too much new Oak. Try to visit and taste at least once a year as its very near my house. Its a beautiful organically farmed vineyard with nice views of the ocean. Thanks for the note.

Sean

Tasting room neighbor of SCMV. I’m in.

sounds great. how did you manage that price???

1 Like

Commercial post: I bought this through a customer of my business.

Purchased from Last Bottle. I am on their e-mail list, buy a few times a year when something speaks to me. Probably ~18 - 24 bottles a year. This was a no-brainer. I think it’s still on the First Bottle site at that price. Not out of the question that I might re-up, but I need more white right now.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

We had this and loved it! Ordered 6. Thanks for the tip.

I’m glad. I am still enjoying mine. My guess would be that it is at or near peak, has another good 2 or 3 years before it starts to fade.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

PS & PSA: This just showed up again at First Bottle. $19.95, free shipping on 6 bottles.

Dan Kravitz

2 Likes

Are you buying more?

I picked up another 6 bottles. This is really versatile, a good red for any weather but extreme cold, matches with a wide variety of foods, can be gifted to novices or geeks, will work well at charity auctions up here.

Dan Kravitz

2 Likes

Thanks for the note, I bought 1 bottle during the marathon. Wish I had known more otherwise I wouldn’t bought more of this and not bought some others. Nevertheless, happy to know I’ll have a solid bottle on my heads at that price.

I have too much wine right now (don’t we all) and can’t buy more, otherwise I’d be on first bottle right now.

I popped 1 of these last night, really enjoyed it. Planning to buy some more off of first bottle. Thanks for the recommendation

Drank my last bottle from First Bottle this evening. Such a lovely and approachable wine.

I’m glad some Berserkers got on in this. I’ve got 10 left, plus 5 of the Miller Vineyard (which I prefer). I keep a few upstairs, it’s a great go-to when I don’t want to think about matching whatever dinner is. It works with almost anything. What I have left will go to sleep mid-winter when I drink reds with more heft.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

I opened mine on Thursday with some pork chops. It was very good. Surprisingly lively actually. More savory on day 1 and on day 2 the fruit was a little more tart, but slightly more tannin. I wish I bought more, great cellar defender at $20.

Make sure you’re signed up for their newsletter. They’ll mail out case specials on occasion.

They still have it in stock, same price

Thanks for the post, but I’m not finding it. Can you please post a link? I’d still buy more, had a bottle last night.

Thank you.

Dan Kravitz

Sure thing, First Bottle - Wine - Silver Mountain Pinot Noir Estate Santa Cruz Mountains 2013

Silver mountain is also selling their 2013 Miller Hill Pinot for $22/bottle on a case special.