NYTimes: Asimov on Peay Vnyds

Interesting article in the NYTimes today by Eric on Peay Vnyds:

I followed the Peay Wines & did a visit w/ Nick way back when in the early yrs. They sorta dropped off my radar as the prices started to climb.
Think I’ll open an older Peay Syrah this weekend.
Tom

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Tom. Love this producer and the people. We met years ago at a Peay dinner in Lawrence KS that Andy hosted. Hope all is well!

Bowdoin guys. Pfft. The worst. :grimacing:

Very cool. That explains why I like Peay and PGC wines. Some of the best around.

Peay is a classic example of a wine I loved, but got caught up in chasing the newest shiny object. Been back for a while and very rarely disappointed. I think their syrahs are significantly underrated.

Yup, John… I remember that dinner well there w/ Andy. Amazed that you remember me… long/boring!!
Tom

All the wines are very solid. Of the Syrah the Les Titans has been stunningly good the last several vintages.

And yes I know i just wrote the the

Crazy timing on this post. Just last week I opened a 2014 Scallop Shelf Pinot and was musing about whether I should return (I stopped buying in 2019). Note, I stopped buying for three reasons… 1. I threw a temper tantrum when I saw a retailer selling their wines for less than member release price 2. While I loved the concept of this cool Sonoma climate “thing”, and all their wines are “well made”, none had a “wow factor” (for me the Pomarium was slightly more interesting). 3. I found Oregon and to make budgeting work…well someone had to go. Summary, I liked Peay but never really found too much standout.

1 Like

Yes, I have followed these for a long time, after being introduced to them at Passionfish. The Scallop Shelf Pinot has always been the stand-out for me. I did stop buying after amassing a nice vertical; as with so many lists of wines I like–Rhys, Greer, Saxum–even if I like’em, after a while I just don’t need more of them. Nice to see them getting some good publicity.

Had a 2004 Estate Chardonnay last year and it reminded me that California can make ageworthy Chardonnay. Stunning Pinot Noir and distinctive Syrah. Prices aren’t cheap but, for the region and quality level, these wines represent better values than many.

One of a handful of California producers that I unabashedly proselytise about.

1 Like
  • a million
1 Like

Also fond of the Viognier and Roussanne-Marsanne.

-Al