TN: 2018 Alzinger Riesling Smaragd Dürnsteiner Liebenberg

As mentioned on the thread I created yesterday I will be heading to Vienna next week and as such wanted to open something Austrian today. I’m sad to say that my options were not plentiful but then this one felt like a solid option. Not that long ago I had a 2020 Federspiel Grüner Veltliner from Alzinger that suffered from unpleasant warmth and oiliness and there is some of that here too, although of course it is something more typical for the Smaragd category without a doubt. The overall package still works and that is well indicated by how quickly we managed to empty the bottle. Always a good sign!

• 2018 Alzinger Riesling Smaragd Dürnsteiner Liebenberg - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (30.6.2022)
    Sunny and expressive on the nose and surprisingly savory too. Green apple, pear, aniseed, leesy yeastiness and white flowers. Very detailed and attractive. On the palate medium bodied though quite dense and firm with appropriate acidity that dances on the tongue. Quite concentrated and structured, definitely of the more serious kind. The label states 13% ABV which is moderate for a Wachau Smaragd but there is some oiliness and warmth to it that might make you believe it’s higher than that. Having said that this is by no means an overly ripe wine or a bruiser of any kind. The fruit is quite bright and vibrant and there is something playful about it. The finish is very clean and contributes to the high drinkability. I probably would not rebuy, I would rather look for a cooler vintage, but I’m not disappointed at all and this one again confirms my belief that Alzinger is one of the better addresses in the region.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I love Alzinger, and the Federspiel Durnsteiner is a pretty regular buy for me, though I lean to buying in cooler vintages. The 2015 is lovely right now and is also a great qpr.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed it in the past too and typically it’s a very good buy indeed. I reckon something as old as the 2015 will not be found easily if at all but I definitely need to be better informed about the Wachau vintages from now on.

13, 17 are the best of this decade. 19 quite good, in my limited tastes. 20 reputed to be outstanding. 14 difficult. Vintages divisible by 3 are warmer and fatter, with 12 probably being the best of those.

2 Likes

Don’t know about the vintage in general, but I had a 2016 Alzinger Riesling Smaragd in March that was sensational.

Which vineyard? I have a single bottle of the 2016 Steinertal Riesling in the cellar.

It was the 2016 Alzinger Riesling Smaragd Dürnsteiner Hollerin. Fabulous, my note is on CT. Thanks.

1 Like

Keep it there. 10-15 years is my rule of thumb for peak window, though most bottles will go years longer.

1 Like