1974 Birth Year Wine Recommendations?

Friend is looking to purchase a birth year wine for < $500. I suggested check out Heitz and then saw the $2K price tag! I’m not sure if this is a particularly difficult vintage, but is there anything good out there? Port or Rioja? non-cult California drinking well?

Well stored CA and Piedmont are the two best choices. My husband is 1974 birth year and we drink several bottles a year from both regions.

1 Like

I’m almost certain that Philip Togni was still in charge at Chappellet in 1974.

On free Wine-Searcher, somebody in Hong Kong has a magnum of the 1974 for $1275.

Given that it’s Hong Kong, it’s almost certainly counterfeit, but if it were a real bottle of wine, and if it weren’t hopelessly heat-damaged, then it would likely be worth every single penny they’re asking for it.

If you’ve got Wine Searcher Pro, then definitely be on the lookout for a 1974 Chappellet.

And even on Free Wine-Searcher, it looks like there’s a fair amount of 1974 Mondavi around $200 to $400.

1 Like

Agreed. CA should be great if stored properly, even smaller producers like Burgess and Martini. Same for Piedmont. The wines were built to last. A recent TN: https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3498705#p3498705

1 Like

CA Cabernet.

Some of the wines, such as Diamond Creek, Mayacamas, and the previously mentioned Heitz Martha’s, have skyrocketed in price, but there are many others well within your friend’s price range. For example, Winebid has a '74 Mondavi Reserve this week with a current bid of $250. It’s also worth taking a gamble with lesser-known bottles. We recently opened a '74 Chateau St Jean Sonoma County Cab that I’d probably owned since release. While it was definitely showing its age, it was still very drinkable. According to the WMJ valuation on CT, it’s valued at less than $35.

2 Likes

Ric Forman was at Silverado and making the wines in 74, right? That would be a great place to look for something more affordable.

Reach out to Chambers Street for Piedmont. They’re great at sourcing and it’s exceedingly rare to get a dead bottle

+1

'74 Mondavi Reserve Cab !

1 Like

I am actually not a fan of the 74 Heitz as to me its too big and dense. I do love 74 Napa wines.

SIMI

Special Reserve
Cabernet Sauvigon, Merlot & Cabernet Franc
Alexander Valley, Sonoma California

1974-N/R

SIMI-"The cellarmasters at Simi recognized the pedigree of the 1974 vintage early and kept the best wine back at the winery for longer term aging in barrel. This “Reserve Vintage” was not released from the winery until 1980.

Https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=226929

1/8/2021 - G SQUARED WROTE:93 Points
Drinking perfectly right now.

<><><>&<><><>

12/5/2020 - G_H WROTE:96 Points
Camomile, mushrooms, roasted malt, a hint of mint, just an extremely pretty, beautifully aged wine.

Much more a bordeaux (Pessac-Leognan) rather than Napa but so well made.

<><><>&<><><>

12/7/2018 - UNIONST LIKES THIS WINE:97 Points
1 1/2 hour decant
Dense, dark cherry color with the slightest bricking at the edge
Tobacco, leather and latent eucalyptus on the nose
Wow! A vibrant wine with dark berries and guava paste on the palate. Mouth watering acidity. Tannins appear on the roof of the mouth vs the tongue. I can’t get over how lively and fresh this wine is. Gobsmacked!
<><><>&<><><>

7/7/2016 - NAPAINBALTIMORE LIKES THIS WINE:95 Points
Amazing wine from the famous 1974 vintage! This special reserve was found in the cobwebs of my mom’s cellar – what luck!!
<><><>&<><><>

12/31/1989 - BUCKEYE76 WROTE:90 Points
GRASSY IN THE NOSE WHEN FIRST OPENED BUT SOFTENED TO A MINTY FRUIT WITH PLUMS, LICORICE, AND CLOVES.LOTS OF SPICY FRUIT IN THE FLVR.SMOOTHER THAN MONTE BELLO BUT LESS COMPLEX.MED TO LONG FINSH

You mean Sterling ? I t one time purchased cases of the 74 reserve and used them in a wine dinner. Great juice.

2 Likes

Piedmont for sure. agree with above on suggestion to check with Chambers. theyre awesome

That’s a great reco. I opened a 75 Sterling last month and it was incredible.

Sorry about that! Yup, Sterling

Great wines

WineBid has a couple of bottles. Asking now $230, but I would contact and ask about provenance before bidding.

74 is my birth year and so I feel well qualified to second the other recommendations fo 1974 Mondavi reserve. The 1974 Mayacamas is also quite good.

1974 Barolo is in a very good spot right now. In particular, all the Vietti wines, Vajra, Massolino, F. Rinaldi, and others made excellent wine. The biggest names have shot up, probably above $500 for Giacosa, G. Conterno, G. Rinaldi, B. Mascarello…

That wine, she is good. Had a ‘74 Sterling Regulare within the last year that was gorgeous

~6 months ago got a Mondavi Reserve from the Commerce section here. Saving it for 2024 for my wife’s 50th birthday. So maybe I’ll revisit this thread in 2 years…