9 Year Old Rose?!

It was a perfect day for an indulgent rose! SQN rosés drink more like well built Beaujolais in my opinion. They are atypically full bodied, deep in color and age worthy; almost defying classification.
IMG_1836.jpg
IMG_1841.jpg

Think you are spot on, these age more like Cru Beaujolais than traditional Rose and has texture and body like a lighter red.

1 Like

Maggie Harrison has continued this style at Antica Terra. Really excellent stuff.

1 Like

Tondonia Gran Reserva Rosado is another that repays significant ageing, and of course unique flavour profile. If you can find it.

2 Likes

I was about to mention the Tondonia—some of the vintages of Tempier and Cotat reward ageing too. I do like the SQN Rose(s).

2 Likes

I have a few bottles of Tavel that I’ve put down for a while as an experiment.

2 Likes

I have a mag of 2012 Domaines Ott Chateau de Selle that I picked up for $20 hammer about 5 years ago in an HDH auction. I’m guess it is WAY past its prime, but who knows? Maybe this summer I’ll find an opportunity to open it….for science!

2 Likes

I have found cayuse rose to age interestingly, but aged rose seems definitely a different stroke for different folks.

Edit to add: I opened my bottle of the OP wine close to release, so no clue on aging. At the time the best analogue I could think of was a relative of beaujolais nouveau.

2 Likes

Fire water

Agree with all of the above. Enfield’s rose can age too, I’ve had bottles 4 years old and they were great. Looking back at my notes, like a super light 5 year old Moulin-à-Vent.

1 Like

I still have a number of Emily’s 2016 Virage roses (mostly Cab Franc), and they are in no danger of going anywhere. I think I have consumed somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 cases of this. [wow.gif]

3 Likes

[wow.gif]

I have a couple of bottles of this that I’m holding.

1 Like

I had someone post a pretty positive note on my 2016 Mourvedre Rose recently - not 9 years but . . .

Cheers

1 Like

Cotat Rose ages effortlessly

2 Likes

Drank one of these (2016 Virage CF Rose) yesterday and it seems to only be getting better.

1 Like

2009 Clos Saron PN Rose in 2019 was fantastic.

A 2010 SQN rosé was one of my surprises of the year, over the top but strangely compelling. I’ve had a lot of aged Beaujolais but didn’t find it anything like them, in part because of the 15.7% alcohol but also the flavor profile. The SQN was delightful in its own unique way.

1 Like

Tempier rose will also give you this type of experience.

1 Like

Clos Cibonne Tibouren wines from Provence have an incredible ability to age.

1 Like

Aside from the cotat that others have already noted, the clos lambrays rose certainly needs several years of ageing in my experience.