TN: 1994 Querbach Oestricher Lenchen Riesling Spätlese (Germany, Rheingau)

I’m sure it’s the same in most wine geek circles but in mine we definitely are all enablers. While I tend to make Otto buy more classic French wine than he would otherwise buy he makes it possible for me to make discoveries that are at least to some extent off the beaten path. This is one of those finds, with its age being the x-factor. It’s a very beautiful expression of Riesling and it makes me want to seek for more. Given the 10% ABV I wonder how sweet the wine may have been to begin with (vs the modern Spätlese) but it has certainly eaten nicely whatever sugary sweetness ever was there. A very cool wine for sure.

• 1994 Querbach Oestricher Lenchen Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheingau (28.6.2022)
    The color is beautiful golden, perhaps paler than expected. The nose is quite fruity still with dominant notes of white peach, tangerine and acacia. Some hard candy and dried fruit action as well, but mostly it is pretty fresh, with a slight volatile edge. On the palate it is relatively rich with an off-dry entry but gradually it gets drier and drier and on the tangy finish there is hardly a trace of sweetness left. While not the most complex wine it does sport a wonderful harmony and is very tasty and easy to enjoy. The flavor profile is an attractive blend or crisp apple, agrumes and just the tiniest oxidative note that I really like. The acidity does not stand out but carries the whole well, providing lift and freshness. It is at a point where it can be enjoyed very widely with different dishes. It’s a bloody nice wine that might get better still but now is a perfectly good time to pop the cork.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like