A Tale of Three Syrahs on Three Days (Paris Granit 60, Stolpman Hilltops, Halcon Elevacion)

A one man tasting here. Had my wife single blind me on the three Syrahs. It was a fun little experiment as I’d only had the Halcon previously. It was surprisingly easy to get all three correct, and they were all very good to my tastes. The Halcon won the day again — starting to become a trend in both single and double blind tastings around here. Great job Paul Gordon !!!

The Stolpman Hilltops 2011 a couple years ago was my favorite wine of late 2019, so I was excited to try the 2016 on this occasion.

Stolpman Hilltops 2016: mostly black and blue fruit on the nose with some pepper and tar to compliment. The palate was full and had the same black and blue fruits — it had structure but was the least structured of the three. Quite enjoyable and the most immediately accessible, though my least favorite in the end.

Vincent Paris Granit 60 2014: massive evolution over three days open here. At first, a hefty dose of gym socks overwhelmed the nose. A day later, it’s a lovely feral bomb… like smelling raw venison. Super intense and not for the faint of heart. The palate showed a solid balance of fruit, game, and spice. LOTS of tannin and structure here that supports the weight. Would recommend a hefty amount of air if you drink this now!

Halcon Elevacion 2017: Aromatics evolved here over days as well. Started out with a blast of campfire, pepper and spice with red fruit and florals in the background. Third day and it is all gorgeous floral and red fruit aromas with pepper playing the supporting role. The palate here is clearly Syrah to me but has the elegance of burgundy. The elements all sing their own pure notes and the harmony is gorgeous. This too needs a lot of air and the structure was even greater than the Cornas.

2 Likes

I’ve put the rest of my Halcon away for the long haul, hoping these last vintages from Paul become even more Northern Rhone-like, as you indicated with all the extra air needed

I drank a regular 2014 Halcon this last Sunday and it was singing. I think I have one more of those that I put aside for an event I planned to hold for Paul and Jackie that did not come together (maybe still?). I’m trying to sit on everything else that I am holding as well.

Any fans of Faury VV ever compare the Halcon Syrahs to it? That may have to be my next comparison for the under $50 world championships.

Holding all my Halcon bottles as well