Dinner with a 2005 Cristal and a 93` red Burg

Thanks to a dear friend, our dinner last night was embellished by his contribution of this exquisite champagne:

2005 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL- 55% Pinot Noir, 45% Chardonnay; when this first came out, it was touted as having a ton of potential and just needing some time to evolve and come together; well, its making some progress and already has arrived at a place that merits some accolades so here comes a few; following its appropriately gold yellow color came aromas of honey baked apple that was joined by lemon, lime, pear and honeysuckle on the palate; it is full bodied, has bright acidity and is enhanced by all of the goodness being delivered in a creamy, tactile pleasing medium that extended the finish to our delight; this bottle seemed to grow and expand with time; it has loads of stuffing and still needs more time for added maturation, but its already arrived at a place that made our evening a whole lot better.

IMG_1781.jpeg
I discovered how wonderful the following wine is when sharing a bottle with some Burgundy friends who raved about it a few months ago and brought this in hopes that it could shine as well on this night and it did:

1993 DOMAINE MICHEL GAUNOUX BEAUNE- yes, this is a village wine and it comes off more like premier cru and if tasted blind, it might receive even higher status; decanted for an hour or so; this had a grainy red purple color and aromas of spicy red raspberry and strawberry that also showed up on the palate and then a nice dollop of blueberry came in past mid palate to seal the deal; I found myself comparing it to a recent 2000 Brogan Cellars Russian River Valley Pinot Noir and many previous 1994 Williams Selyem Allen Vineyard RRV Pinot Noirs that have very similar notes; thats a switch; dont most of us do that comparison the other way around? As with the Cristal, this also got better in the glass over the course of the evening and we were nicely satiated; lovely wine.

IMG_1780.jpeg
Here`s another night when great wines contributed to a great evening with friends.

Cheers,
Blake

1 Like

Sounds like a great bottle of Cristal and I think I will be opening one this weekend thanks to your note.

1 Like

I’d be interested in your experience Jon.

You are not wrong: a large proportion of the cuvée derives from premiers crus Boucherottes and Epenottes!

1 Like

I appreciate the added info William. It certainly fits.

plus the vintage—I’ve had a couple of very happy experiences with 93 reds. Good showing again, Blake—maybe a prequel to toast Agbaji being taken as a lottery pick tonight? :wink:

Salud

Mike

1 Like

Agreed Mike. I actually intended to make reference to the vintage and failed to do so. I’ve had a lot of fabulous red Burgs from 93`.

Fingers crossed re Och. He deserves to go in the first 10-12 IMHO.

Being a 93er myself I wish I could afford those red burgs!

1 Like

You may want to pay attention to offers from Envoyer who feature many wines from 93` and other good vintages AND producers at very “reasonable” prices.

I’m assuming that might only be relevant for US customers, although I wouldn’t know for sure.

1 Like

Contact them:
Customer Service: shipping@envoyerfinewines.com
Phone: (949) 861-8388
Hours: 9:00am-6:00pm PST, Monday-Friday (Excluding Holidays)