Top domastic Riesling producers?

I very much enjoy German vitners and even more the Alsatian producers! But I couldn’t really think of domestic producers that I felt were great. I’m completely open to suggestions…admitedly I have zero experience with the New York brethren/sisterhood. Is this were I should be looking?

Btw, I’ve ordered the Bedrock offerings the last 3 years, but have yet to open any.

1 Like

Check out Project M and Navarro.

1 Like

Lem,
Two of the really good Calif Riesling vnyds are the Enz in SanBenitoCnty/CienegaVlly and ColeRanch up in MendocinoCnty.
Bedrock makes quite good Rieslings from those two vnyds. Ryan Stirm is on the forefront of pushing Calif Riesling to greatness,
also from those two vnyds. The McFaddenRanch up in the PotterVlly/MendoCnty also produces very good Riesling.
A lot of people are very fond of the Navarro Rieslings up in the AndersonVlly, but they don’t have the minerality I like in Calif Riesling.
Tom

1 Like

There are a handful of producers making noteworthy Rieslings in Oregon. Goodfellow, Pierce, Trisaetum, Paetra, etc. Bill Hooper at Paetra completed his degree and interned in Germany.

2 Likes

Well, Len…you should really open one up to try. They’re generally quite good right out the gate. And they
can age very well.
Tom

Navarro’s late harvest rieslings are generally excellent – with great depth and complexity.

I stumbled on the table of Weis Vineyards of the Finger Lakes, NY, at the Hudson Valley Food & Wine Festival last year and was quite impressed with both the dry, off-dry and sweet rieslings. The owner and winemaker is a young guy who grew up in Zell in the Mosel Valley.

Of course, there has been a huge improvement in qualify in the Finger Lakes in the last couple of decades and there are a number of good riesling producers. Dr Konstantin Frank and Hermann Wiemer are the best distributed.

2 Likes

Both their Late Harvest Riesling and Gewürztraminer are stellar.

1 Like

Red Newt Cellars - New York
Forge Cellars - New York
Red Tail Ridge Vineyards - New York
Left Foot Charley Winery - Michigan
Chateau Grand Traverse - Michigan

I could name about ten others from the Finger Lakes that stand head and shoulders above anything from the West Coast -

1 Like

I’d think Washington (the state, not the swamp) would also be a good hunting ground for this varietal.

Tatomer; Santa Barbara.
Gruner Veltliner, too.

Here’s a thread from a few years back on the topic. FWIW.

I would add Modales to the Michigan list and Brooks to the Oregon list.

I don’t know the Finger Lakes that well past what’s already been mentioned, but I think that area will give you the most joy domestically if German and Alsace styles are what you’re looking for

Three I like are Desire Lines, Radio Coteau and Bedrock.

I’ve had almost everything from the Finger Lakes, and my recommendations would be (in order):

Hermann J. Wiemer
Forge
Kemmeter
Dr. Konstantin Frank
Boundary Breaks
Standing Stone (Wiemer’s sister winery)
Ravines

There are probably another handful that I could have mentioned (Red Newt, Silver Thread, etc.), but I feel that they are a notch below the seven I listed above.

3 Likes

I’m interested in exploring more Finger Lakes producers but tend to balk (unfairly to be sure) at the prices when compared to sure-thing German value purchases.

I’ve only tried a few but have had good experiences with Oregon rieslings. I’ll add Maloof to that list. Really like their 2020 No Clos Radio bottling.

Ravines

As already mentioned radio Coteau consistently over delivers with theirs and also Poets leap in Wa is awesome QPR

Lots of good choices mentioned. Don’t forget Ovum from Oregon, and Teutonic. Two nearly opposite approaches.

Washington has not turned out as well as hoped for in Riesling. The nights don’t get cool enough to keep crisp acidity.

Second for Tatomer, and I’ll add Maidenstoen and Union Sacre.

1 Like