Bedrock Fall 2022 Release

Starting a discussion thread.
Release is July 19th

From Bedrock…

This release includes a lineup of gems from the lovely but tiny 2021 vintage—Bedrock Heritage, Evangelho Heritage, Katushas’ Zinfandel, Carlisle Zinfandel, Pagani Ranch Heritage and Old Vine Zin, along with the inaugural release from an outstanding site in Dry Creek called Beeson Ranch that we are thrilled with. It will also include the 2019 Calico Syrah- our last wine to be released of the 2019 vintage which is based around fruit from our final year of working with Griffin’s Lair Vineyard. And, for all of you who love the Shake Ridge Barbera, we also have a small amount of that available.

On the whites and rosé side, we have a bona fide “White Zinfandel” from Esola Vineyard. We’ll go into detail in the release about how this wine came to be, but it’s already become one of our go-to wines this summer and yes, IT IS DRY. We also had the joy of making a tiny amount of single-varietal Semillon from Monte Rosso for the first time, while the first effort of Bedrock Vineyard Semillon was good enough to be the core of Cuvee Karatas. Compagni Portis and Wirz Riesling round out the release, making it one of the most stacked that we can remember. We also realize this is more wines than normal for a release, but volumes were so small in 2021 due to drought that we are still making the same number of cases available (actually fewer) as on a normal release.

These fall release wines will ship in October and our fall pickup days will be in October as well.

1 Like

I generally order at least 3 of each along with 6 of the OVZ.

Given how hot SF has been this year, I am not sure if I have enough Lulu to tide us over until we can get delivery of the White Zin in October.

But I can’t wait to serve some “White Zin” to some of my snobby friends and coworkers :wink:

I buy typically 1-2 bottles of each, but 1-2 cases of the OVZ. Even this approach yields three damn cases of wine that I don’t have room for. But honestly, we drink it at a similar rate.

I should just choose my favorite vineyards, and focus more on those, but after a dozen plus years, I still can’t make myself skip many, though there are a few I buy all they’ll sell me.

The podcast doesn’t help reduce purchases either. When should we expect that Morgan Twain-Peterson, if you are around?

1 Like

Sabelli Frisch came out with a $21 white Zin this year too that is absolutely phenomenal.

1 Like

Sadly, it’s been the opposite in Portland. Cold and wet, until today. Happily, rose season is now starting!

1 Like

I’m with ya! I used to buy 4 bottles of each wine (minus the syrah) but I ended up with more Bedrock than I knew what to do with (not the worst problem ever I guess, ha!). Now I’m a little more selective and stick to a bottle or two of the heritage wines that I know I like (and a few bottles of my favorites) and pass on the ones that I’ve been less thrilled with. This release looks to be filled with quite a few that I really dig so will probably be a bigger than usual order for me. Very excited to try the Beeson and the Sémillon!

The cellar is still over capacity and Bedrock is too dangerous to buy because its so well priced, and damn good too.

Beeson has been on the radar since they announced it for me. I’ll have to do a smaller overall until my bottles get drunk down more.

I don’t know who is going to hate me for this more: my wife or my UPS guy

2 Likes

Did somebody say Rosé?

82872EB7-FC21-43C2-86E1-7D15A0D5C521.jpg

1 Like

Does the ‘final year of Griffin’s Lair’ mean those grapes are going to Desire Lines? Hope they’re staying in the ‘family’

2 Likes

Santa Rosato!

1 Like

The way I understand it the vineyard is diseased and needs to be replanted.

1 Like

Well that sucks

Looking forward to this, any word on the port at this point?

Agreed! Unfortunately, it won’t be shipped til October, but should hold fine til next summer…if it lasts that long.

First time to order, any idea of the prices?

Their entry level wines, OVZ, CA Syrah, Ode to Lulu, Sauvignon Blanc, etc. range $20 - $25

Field blends might start at $30-$35 up to $65ish and limited production (I.e. “T5”) have been the priciest I’ve seen at $100.

[wow.gif] That is crazy! I know OVZ is really popular, any other ones I should pickup or just one of each to try [snort.gif]

Well, that’s the dilemma we all face!
I would recommend loading up a bit on the “entry level“ wines mentioned above. You will not regret having those around. The Heritage wines are special, and definitely take some time to come around. So, you might take a sampling of those, depending on your budget. Also, don’t sleep on Compagni Portis, one of my favorites in the lineup.