Best Pizza Wine of the Year Under $17.45

2019 Caruso e Minini Perricone Naturalemente Terre Siciliana IGP

This wine has a plushness to the palate that I usually associate with hot wines that are lacking acid, but there’s no flabbiness here – but maybe a touch of heat at the 13.5% listed. A crowd-pleasing effort here, with abundant strawberryish fruit and no discernible tannin. I can’t imagine anyone who wouldn’t be happy with a glass of this with a slice from their local pizza joint.

EDIT: meant to say “NO flabbiness”

1 Like

There’s a really good Perricone on Winebid for $10. Loads of violets, licorice and pepper. I’ve had a few. Always try and add a few bottles to every Winebid shipment.

3 Likes

Disclaimer, I sell Caruso & Minini

but try the 2020, I think it’s brighter and cleaner than the 2019.

1 Like

IGP?

I was about to ask what the grape was…then realized it’s “Perricone”…which is a grape I’m completely unfamiliar with. As a point of reference, any thoughts on what it may be most comparable to??

1 Like

Barbera

Sounds interesting.

I was going to nominate the Morisfarms Morellino di Scansano. I opened one of my last bottles of the '16 a couple of weeks ago and it was glorious – medium to full-bodied, lots of bright fruit (some red and darker) and refreshing acidity. I think I paid $13.50 by the case. It’s a wonderful wine year in, year out.

2 Likes

Why $17.45 instead of $17.50?

1 Like

Yeah, I draw the line at $17.35 myself. [pwn.gif]

1 Like

I will look for this. Try the Mauro Molino Barbera d’Alba at $13. It’s unoaked and well integrated…read no screaming acidity.

I don´t know this particular wine, but here in Austria I usually take an unoaked Blaufränkisch for Pizza and Pasta (if not a Cotes-du-Rhone) …
BF has enough acidity and the well-made examples are excellent wines available for well under 15 € (even under 10 €) here in retail.

I will go with this one at $22with tax!!!

2020 Tensley Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (3/28/2022)
Day 1: Continues to be my wine of the year for $20. Great on the pop and pour with ripe cherries, plum, blackberries, spice, violets and basil. Medium plus finish and good concentration. A real crowd pleaser. (Natural cork) 91 points
Day 2: This wine is young but delicious and better on day 2. Bing cherries, plum, dust, violets, perfume, spices and dark chocolate. Medium plus finish and decant acidity for a bigger style Syrah. 92 points
Day 3: This is singing. Again for all those haters of the 3 Day Wine Approach I have two words for you, “It works!” Lost some of that mild heat and big spice. Gorgeous fruit featuring blueberries, strawberry and black currant. Violets, black pepper and dust. Good concentration and medium plus finish. 93 points
Recommendation: 4 hour decant and try this wine or better yet enjoy over 3 days. This wine will drink well for 8 to 10 years. (93 points)
Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

John… Let it go… 1) It’s not under 17.45. 2) This item has already been run over by the bus 15 times in your other thread.

2 Likes

That Tensley is pretty much the opposite of what I’d look for in a pizza wine. Way too fruity and forward. That’s not my style of wine generally, but definitely not with pizza.

For pizza I’m a traditionalist in preferring Italian wines. There are other things that work but my stance is kind of “if it’s not broken, why fix it” We make homemade pizza on average about once a week and several wines in our rotation fit under the $17.45 price point, though some hover around the line:

• Vajra Langhe Nebbiolo (often more but I paid $16.95 for the 2019);
  • Vajra Langhe Rosso
  • Gulfi Nerojbleo (again, sometimes under)
  • Calabretta Cala Cala
  • Vallana Campi Raudii
  • Cantalupo Agamium

Not that long ago the Felsina CC, Monsanto CCR, and Produttori LN could be found in this price range, but they’ve crept up a bit.

Should add that I have little experience with Perricone, but enjoy Sicilian wines generally. If I see the wine in the OP I’ll give it a try.

3 Likes

Good call and great value on this one! [thumbs-up.gif]

1 Like

I just enjoyed a 2019 Vietti Barbera d’Asti Tre Vigne last week that definitely warrants consideration at $15.

The thread title is a commentary on some previous threads titles that have surfaced on this board from time to time. I actually paid $16, and I’ve probably had some others just as deserving at that price point.

Definitely agree with the Vajra Langhe Rosso (and the Nebbiolo, too) as good pizza options. Haven’t see the Tre Vigne under $20, much less $15, but Barbera is definitely a pizza favorite.

Seriously bud. Why do you do this to yourself?!?

1 Like

Trediberri Dogliani Bricco Mollea Dolcetto $15.99.

The best pizza wine. Period.

Dolcetto’s and Barbera’s scream pizza. Lively fruit and spice with an earthy balance. Vietti along with Michele Chiarlo’s Le Orme always come to mind. While not earth shattering, the Chiarlo has always been a plentiful, cheap, and easy to understand bottling.