Ceritas Special Release Coming Thursday June 23

Anyone else get this? Seems to be an off-cycle offering from Ceritas, featuring a few wines I haven’t heard of before. The note suggests they’ve made them since 2018, but I haven’t found any info elsewhere. Very curious about the TG36, as that’s one of my favorite chardonnay vineyards.

Please chime in if anyone has any more info!

Dear Friends,

From time to time, circumstances allow us at Ceritas to work with old sites in new ways. We are excited to present to you this extraordinary collection of wines we’ve made since 2018.

June 23rd at 8AM Pacific, an invitation will be sent to you with an allocation.

Please note these wines are NOT guaranteed.

2021 Rosé of Pinot Noir / West Sonoma Coast

2020 Bailache Sauvignon Blanc / Sonoma Coast

2018 Trout Gulch Chardonnay TG36 / Santa Cruz Mountains

Our release begins June 23rd at 8am PST and is open for one week or until sold out.

As always, should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

John Raytek & the Ceritas Team

Right when I was like man I miss that Ceritas Rose couple years ago this drops. I’m so happy.

Anyways no more info except for what’s posted on their website, though I would guess that the TG36 is a longer aged TG they kept back.

When I tasted with them last year they didn’t mention these … Though I am expecting some newer things in their portfolio soon.

2020 BAILACHE SAUVIGNON BLANC / SONOMA COAST

A fabulous bouquet of white peach, yellow plum, and white flower scents that open up beautifully into an explosively refined palate. The palate is balanced with a killer line of acidity that pulls together the fresh flavors of finger lime, marzipan, and dried white flowers. This wine is a showstopper and redefines what is genuinely possible for coastal Sauvignon Blanc here in Northern California.

$48

2018 TROUT GULCH CHARDONNAY - TG36 / SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS

The nose is intriguing, it grabs you, with hints of green almond and praline complementing the white stone fruit, gaining intensity and precision with every passing moment. The palate has exquisite, ethereal balance with a fine bead of acidity, with so much concentration yet remaining harmonious. The silky-smooth texture lingering on your palate reveals layers of complexity. Pure finish with remarkable persistency. Awe-inspiring.

$125

I got the email also, Vince where did you get that pricing from? that $125 for TG seems a little steep. I’m curious how much the rose is though.

On the website for me.

1 Like

I just checked and the 2018 vintage was $35 each for the Rose

1 Like

That’s a duh for me, I usually don’t get much info from what I remember on their site until the offer’s open but I guess I should check more often, thanks.

Did anyone go to the Ceritas event this weekend? Curious if folks tried these new wines…

Open

Done…6 rose, 6 sauvignon blanc, and 1 (only allocated 1) of the 36 month Chardonnay. Like Vince, I was craving that rose from a couple years back. Truth be told, best domestic rose I’ve ever tasted. I’m at the point with Ceritas that I will most likely blindly buy whatever it is they are offering. But why am I saying this here; the last thing I want is competition for my allocation?

Went 3+3+1(wl+1) excited to try these

1 Like

I did go to the event this past weekend, but the highlights were wines that are coming in the upcoming releases. I did buy some Annabelle Pinot.

John raved about the TG36, and had to get my one bottle this morning.

1 Like

I would love to try the rose, but no allocation for me.

I can’t find any detailed notes on the TG36 Trout Gulch Chardonnay. Very intrigued, what is the reason for the price?

In the mailer.

2018 TROUT GULCH CHARDONNAY TG36 / SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS

There is so much to say about this wine. Part experiment, part hunch, partly inspired by the great wines of Domaine Leflaive and a belief about a particular section of Trout Gulch. The grapes that we sourced for this wine were from the coldest part of the vineyard, tucked under the shade of the redwood forest to the north, allowing the grapes to mature so slowly that sugars accumulated gradually, flavors deepened and were enhanced while retaining the freshness that Trout Gulch delivers every year.

In the winery, our traditional aging on the Chardonnay wines is approx. 16-18 months on lees. With the TG36, we left the wine to age on its original fine lees for 36 months, effectively doubling the time for yeast autolysis, mimicking the process similar to what is utilized in Champagne for aging in bottle before disgorgement. The result is a depth of flavor intensity and increased palate weight without sacrificing the natural laser beam of acidity from this site.

2018 Tasting Note:

The nose is intriguing, it grabs you, with hints of green almond and praline complementing the white stone fruit, gaining intensity and precision with every passing moment. The palate has exquisite, ethereal balance with a fine bead of acidity, with so much concentration yet remaining harmonious. The silky-smooth texture lingering on your palate reveals layers of complexity. Pure finish with remarkable persistency. Awe-inspiring.

Good question $125/bot is an eye opener.

I don’t think it’s really that crazy for a reserve bottle aged twice as long no?

I was only offered one of TG Chard, so I jumped on it, along with some SauvBlanc; the write-up seemed intriguing so we’ll see-

“This wine is a showstopper and redefines what is genuinely possible for coastal Sauvignon Blanc here in Northern California.”

Took the 2 tg36 that was offered. Nothing else.

I was there and I agree with Alan that the highlights were the other wines in the tasting. I went home with some Annabelle Pinot and Zephyr Chardonnay.

My wife really liked the Sauvignon Blanc. I generally think that Ceritas produces and handles their low-Brix fruit with a deft hand that yields wines of focus and precision without feeling underripe, but I didn’t feel that way about this wine, which felt a little harsh and green. But I’ll add two moderating comments to that criticism: (1) that style works for some people, and (2) I think it’ll calm down and probably come around with another year or two in bottle. I just think that if you’re going to charge $48 for a Sauvignon Blanc then it should be as good as or better than some of the other heavy hitters around here in that price range. I just didn’t feel like that was the case. Same goes for the rosé, which was nice but unremarkable in a crowded field. I’d rather have Peay’s Cep rosé, for example, for less money.

1 Like