New York Wine Experience 2022

Looks like inflation has hit the NYWE, only $400 for 2 hours, not sure what it was previously but I am convinced I paid less than that 5 years ago…

It was definitely less five years ago, although I recall last year seemed like it had taken a big jump in price, so that may have been the big leap. I’m guessing it’s a combination of increasing pricing and trying to offset a somewhat reduced capacity a bit due to covid.

It’s a great event, but I may be priced out now, especially with similar tastings being a lot less. Just a few weeks ago I paid just $100 per person for a James Suckling tasting that was slightly smaller than the Spectator event, but similarly high quality.

What’s interesting the one in DC last week was discounting tickets by $100 for the VIP and regular tasting. I can see why, this latest one was pretty much a copy of last December’s. We attended the one last and were not that impressed. Some very good sparklers but way too many wines we have no interest in. We bought tickets before the list was released to we would not make that mistake again.

I am more than willing to pay $400 but not for 2 hours. In the past it was 7-10, but for an extra $100 you could get in at 6pm. Anyone who has been to this knows the first growths, Harlan, Schrader, etc. are out of wine by 8 pm or so. Thus, allowing a 2 hour head start for those paying $2500 for the weekend means my $400 is worthless. I love this event. It is far better than the Grand Tour they just put on. But eliminating my ability to taste the great bottles makes this an easy pass this year, and I was willing to pay more for the extra hour as they have done in years past.

2 Likes

It seems like if someone is buying the weekend package they can pay $500 each for upto two extra tickets with private access.

So you just need to find someone who’s attending tor the weekend. If you do, I will join too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks to all for the info and impressions: I’ve thought about attending this eventually now that we’re in a better place with COVID (as well as the Decanter FWE next time that comes to NYC). Understand that inflation is inevitable nowadays, especially with gas competing with Screagle Sauvignon Blanc for the most ridiculously priced liquid in existence.

Just curious: is there any charitable component to the WS NY Wine Experience?

The Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation benefits from the NYWE. They’ve done some amazing work supporting UC Davis, Sonoma State, the Chaplin School of Hospitality, the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone. They have helped a lot of student programs in wine, food and hospitality.

Personally, I think some of their most important work has been to support the Bancroft Library at U.C. Berkeley,. What that library is doing to sustain and archive American wine history in general is pretty cool.

2 Likes

Paying less than $450 for 3 days at the Walla Walla Syrah Festival in July. Includes a wine dinner also.

I will likely be there pouring Aldo Conterno, stop by and say hello!

1 Like

Thank you RH!

As an update, I registered for the 2023 NYWE ( the complete package with the seminars), and am looking forward to going in October. Given that there have been fewer interesting wine events in the Boston area in this post-pandemic year, it seemed like it’s time to give it a try.

Interested to hear if anyone else on this board plans to attend. I’m planning on going to NYC on Wednesday 10/18, and would be happy to get together for dinner that night with any other Berserkers who are coming.