TN: 2020 Dominio de Anza Bierzo Selección de Parcelas

I’m normally pretty confident when it comes to visiting a new wine shop and finding things I really want to buy. However when I visited a shop that was largely focused on the more contemporary Spanish wines (read: no R. Lopez de Heredia or La Rioja Alta) I quickly started to feel like I just wanted just to get out of there. Not one to give up that easily though I chatted a bit with an employee but unfortunately she was not of much help, mostly just recommending a lot of wines with little to no insight. Eventually I blindly bought one red and one white and headed for some comforting beer.

I know Mencia and Bierzo of course on some level so this is nothing totally new but I’ve never heard of the producer before. It’s somewhat small production, less than 9000 bottles made. Comes off pretty unadulterated, light touch kind of stuff - very vibrant. Mencia is often easy compare to Northern Rhône Syrah and also here there are similarities but then the wine is not massively reductive and not tart at all, so the missus was positively surprised after seeing the purple color.

• 2020 Dominio de Anza Bierzo Selección de Parcelas - Spain, Castilla y León, Bierzo (9.6.2022)
    On the nose first you get loads of luscious, youthful blackberry fruit. There is a creamy quality to it and it is just very delicious in all its simplicity. With time you start getting minerally tones and perhaps surprisingly just the tiniest hint of barnyard. What’s not to like? On the palate it is juicy as hell with abundant blackberry fruit that is markedly bright and polished. At first there was little to none tannic grip but now after a couple of hours of breathing some tannins are starting to emerge, which is more than welcome. There is not much in the way of complexity here but this is an awfully well made and attractive wine with a lip-smacking finish that drinks very well both on its own and with baby lamb salsiccia. It’s a lot of fun but I feel like it’s getting more serious by the minute.

Posted from CellarTracker