I'm a cranky old man

I know I’m getting old. I find myself cranky about everything. Anyway, not that I want to go back to paper magazines, but they used to have profiles on producers in the publications. I can’t seem to find anything anymore in either Vinous or RP.

wine spectator did one on Rousseau last month.

Isn’t cranky old man redundant?

William Kelley does producer profiles for Burgundy producers. If you want great and long producer profiles, read John Gilman’s A View From the Cellar.

1 Like

What do you mean by producer profiles? Both Vinous and Wine Advocate include profiles of some producers in connection with reviews; not consistently, and some are more voluminous than others (e.g. David Schildknecht). In Wine Advocate, the producer profiles are found at the bottom of the reviews. In Vinous, in the “classic” view, you have to hover over the producer to see the producer profiles; in the new view, the profile is at the top of the page when you click on a producer and also at the bottom of each review.

If you mean long-form profiles of a producer, those were always pretty rare, but both publications do have them from time to time, mainly in the guise of verticals. Monica Larner does producer profiles frequently which are not verticals.

Inside Burgundy is your friend.

As is The World of Fine Wine

Yeah, we all get there some time. It’s not fun.

Please get the f**k off my lawn!

neener

1 Like

Drink more Champagne! I have a hard time being cranky doing that.

2 Likes

I have a headstart on you. Been old and cranky for quite a while now.

Our very own Bill Nanson does Producer Profiles at his https://www.burgundy-report.com/ . I’m a subscriber and enjoy his site’s content.

I feel your pain Nico. Remember to wear ur readers when trying to find the profiles old man :p.

P.S. At least you’re not a dirty old grandpa yet - keep things in perspective :slight_smile:.

Got a vertical of Tremblay Chapelle back to 2005, and Lamy Haute Densité back to 06, coming out this month! Both using those cuvées as a window onto the producers’ evolution and way of working.

I thought being a cranky old man was a requirement to be a Berserker?

Cheers,

Hal

Ha ! I have glasses placed all around so I always have access.

loved that article.

It certainly seems that way sometimes. But women are actually allowed, too.

3 Likes

Remember to get plenty of fiber.

Hal Blumberg wrote: ↑Mon May 30, 2022 1:52 pm
I thought being a cranky old man was a requirement to be a Berserker?

Cheers,

Hal
It certainly seems that way sometimes. But women are actually allowed, too.

Hi Sarah,

I certainly didn’t mean to downplay the role of woman on the board. And in general, people are warm, generous, and knowledgeable in their posts. But I do think there is a level of pettiness and looking for a fight that I wish would disappear from the board, as it is perpetuated by some cranky old men. That’s what I was trying to convey.

Cheers,

Hal

2 Likes

I am 83 and don’t remember what I am angry about. Get off my lawn! Don’t go near my wine!

2 Likes