TN: 2017 Cascina Roccalini Barbaresco Roccalini (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco)

Otto had been praising this producer so got myself a bottle when it was offered last year at a pretty affordable price. He had also mentioned that it needs a ton of air to show the goods so of course I went ahead and barely gave it one hour in the decanter before dinner. Surprise, surprise I wasn’t blown away yesterday but as there was roughly a third left in the bottle I tried it again today and now I am starting to realize what the hype is about, sort of. Despite the warm vintage it is now performing like a pretty traditional wine, though on the more approachable, elegant end of the spectrum. I especially enjoy the tannin management; they are there and they are grippy but not one bit harsh or drying. I can definitely see myself trying other vintages from this address.

• 2017 Cascina Roccalini Barbaresco Roccalini - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (28.5.2022)
    Not very approachable on pop’n’pour, it’s now been in the decanter for roughly two hours. The nose is a pretty pleasant mix of old wood, Christmassy spices and bright, savory cherry fruit. It fills up the palate nicely and has ripe yet notable tannins. Definitely on the dry and savory side of things and quite firmly textured. Seems to be tightening up as we speak, but doesn’t feel angular. The fruit expression isn’t particularly charming at least at this stage but overall this feels like a very competent effort. I know better than to open a Barbaresco this young but it was there on top of a pile and I had to start cooking so it is what it is.

Day2: Yup, the tannic grip has only become stronger overnight, but overall the wine comes off more refreshing, lifted and harmonious now and I rather like this version. Starts to feel pretty classic indeed and way more drinkable than the day before.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like