Most consistent burgundy producers

White and red.

For me:

White:
PYCM: I’ve opened close to 100 bottles in the last 6 months and haven’t had a dud.

Vincent Dancer:
Every time I open one I wonder why I haven’t bought more.

Red:
Hudelot-Noellat:
Consistently outperforms especially at AC level.

Rousseau:
No comment necessary.

1 Like

Most consistent and also my favorite -

White - Bouchard.
Red - Pierre Damoy ( for Gervey ); for around Corton hill - Michel Mallard; Des Croix and to a certain extend : Chevalier also.

White
Michel Niellon
I’ll second PYCM - always wish I had more
Walter Scott X-Novo or Seven Springs [stirthepothal.gif]

Red
Joseph Drouhin’s 1ers

There are many who have particular plots or vintages that ring my bell, but I think Drouhin’s 1er blends achieve a consistency of house style and terroir expression that is rare in the crapshoot that is Burgundy- thinking of their Chambolle 1er and Beaune clos des Mouches in particular. The Gevrey and lately Vosne 1er blends may do this too, but the track record is shorter. Like what I have sampled tho.

We’re just going to end up baking our favorite producers but I’ve never opened a bad lafarge wine.

I think Drouhin is a good choice but I do think there’s some variability between negoc and domaine holdings.

I guess we should add Chevillon.

In my old days - Drouhin needed a lot of bottle-age for my preference. Things might have changed.

Drouhin high-end reds are in high demand in HK and are very pricey…

Yes to Rousseau big 2. His others…there are others. [cheers.gif]

Honestly, it’s a sliding scale. Even the best producers have off vintages or vintages where their wines are surprisingly closed or don’t perform as well or are surprisingly shut down. Nor do I even think this is necessarily a list of “favorite” producers - my most consistent producers are those that are the worst :slight_smile:

All Rousseau is good now. This isn’t the 90s anymore.

Perhaps not as sexy as some other producers in this thread, but Louis Michel deserves a spot on the list.

Rousseau makes great wines since I and you were born. This is a historical fact. Everyone loves Rousseau…not just Michael Chong and/or Peter CHIU.

You owns too many of his other wins - special his 2017 which is not a vintage to flip. Why would someone want to drink his CStJacques ( and no others ) is beyond me. So are all his other g-crus. Try to pair his Charmes with others Charmes; and his AC Gervey with others… [wow.gif]

I’ve had probably 30 bottles of Rousseau this year (before our big tasting next month) with only two bottles of 2017 (the LSJ I poured blind earlier this month and a Gevrey AC). Since probably 2010 or so I think the other wines have made enormous strides. Obviously the big 3 have always been good but I’ve poured CDLR with Lignier, Dujac, Ponsot, and others and the Rousseau have been every bit as good (although Rousseau signature still comes across pretty clearly).

Rousseau charmes is really good now, especially 2009-2013. The 2013 Charmes was out of control good when I had it earlier this year.

From my experience

White:
Raveneau
Coche
PYCM

Red:
Dujac
Leroy
DRC
Chevillon
Rousseau

Michael…Thanks for the details.

Yes - I agreed that high-ends reds of 2013 red ( not just Rousseau ) are starting to really start to sing now.

I just checked Morris Book - he gave a 7 for 2013 red for Chart B drinker.

On the reds, mugneret gibourgs have been fantastic across the board year in year out for at least the last 20 years. Can’t think of a single wine that wasn’t excellent.

we had 07 Chaignots a couple weeks ago and it was overshadowed by 07 Chevillons. It was disappointing as I’m a huge M-G fan.

For whites, Bernard Moreau and Ramonet. I know I am in the distinct minority, but I like the wines of Bernard Moreau a lot more than the wines of PYCM. Not to say I don’t like the wines of PYCM, but I just prefer Moreau.

For reds, Truchot and Mugneret-Gibourg.

Cannot comment on Hudelot-Noellat yet. Love their wines but Charles Van Canneyt has only running the domaine since 2008 so most of the wines he has made are not yet mature. Extremely promising wines, but I cannot say they are consistent until I taste some mature examples.

I want to add another former producer - Domaine Dublere. Not the richest or biggest wines in the world, but really consistently elegant wines. And, outstanding values. Wish I could still buy them.

Howard - thanks for the comments.

I could not believe my eyes when I checked wine-searcher and it shows Rousseau AC Gevrey - from the recent vintages - are around CA $700 per bottle.

1 Like

Easy!

PYCM
Mugneret Gibourg

I’ve never opened a bottle that felt hard, shut down, unbalanced or flawed.

They both have an openness (almost an eagerness to please) and core of not too sweet fruit that beguile almost any taster. No rationalizations or equivocations ever needed.

2 Likes