"From Obscurity to Excellence": RRV Wine Documentary (2012)

Is an online copy available of Mr Joe Nugent’s 2012 documentary "From Obscurity to Excellence: The Story of Grapes and Wine in the Russian River Valley"?

This film features interviews with Joe Rochioli, Jr., Burt Williams, Howard Allen, Joseph Ciatti, Louis M. Foppiano, Christine DeLoach, Louis J. Foppiano, Davis Bynum, Robert Salisbury, and Vinece Colombano!

Maurice Nugent YouTube video:
“RRVTrailer [‘From Obscurity to Excellence: The Story of Grapes and Wine in the Russian River Valley’]”
October 8, 2012

North California Public Media
“Wine and History in the Russian River Valley”

"Russian River Valley is acclaimed for its complex red varietals and the wine made from them. But it wasn’t always that way, as a local film-maker has now documented.

"Long before the grapegrowers and winemakers of the Russian River Valley developed a widely recognized ‘name’ for their products, says local documentarian Joe Nugent, they quickly learned how to tap into regional markets for them.

“His film, ‘From Obscurity to Excellence: The Story of Grapes and Wine in the Russian River Valley’, has been a five-year project for Nugent, one that grew out of his own, somewhat spontaneous entry into the realm of grape growers in the Russian River Valley…”.

Press Democrat
“Film Outlines Russian River Wine Story”

November 17, 2012

Hawk Wakawaka Wine
“Russian River Valley’s Unique History: From Obscurity to Excellence, a Documentary Review”

by Elaine Chukan Brown
November 16, 2012

Russian River Valley Movie WordPress
“About Our Movie”

October 9, 2012

Amazon Product page (Currently Unavailable):
“From Obscurity to Excellence The Story of Grapes & Wine in The Russian River Valley (2013 DVD Widescreen Edition)”

1 Like

Looks like this might be it?

2 Likes

I’d never heard of this, thank you both - very much looking forward to watching this. I have fond memories of Bert from when I was young, he and my Dad worked together in the Printing industry in the 70s, before he split off to do wine full time.

1 Like

I remember when this came out. They had the opening public viewing at the LBC (Luther Burbank Center for the Arts) in Santa Rosa. Joe was looking for people to spread the word and I shared it on a few online forums. It was my very first Twitter post.

1 Like

Thank you!! [cheers.gif]

I cannot believe that I didn’t notice that the same YouTube channel that has the trailer also has the documentary in its entirety!!

This video did not showed up on my initial search.

1 Like