Burgundian Varietals in Germany - A Wasenhaus tasting...and Slick Rick!

Words from IG post below. I think the broader theme of Burgundian Varietals in Germany needs more attention. Especially with the scarcity and ever rising prices of Burgundy.

What a night!

First up a comprehensive tasting of the Wasenhause wines.

This was one of the most important tastings I have ever attended.

Why?

Well let me step back a bit, 12 years ago I attended a Spatburgunder tasting at Seasonal (R.I.P.) organized by @vomboden and written up by @ericasimov in the @nytimes
( https://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/dining/13pour.html )

This dinner was so important @kellerdalsheim and @schlossgut_diel flew in for it.

There were some very good wines and you could see the potential for Burgundian grapes in Germany, but to be honest I was still not convinced.

12 years later I am 90% or so convinced thanks to @kellerdalsheim @silvanerlover @jonasdostert@pinot_noix and of course @wasenhaus and others :boom:

Well after last nights mesmerizing lineup of Chardonnay, Spatburgunder and Weissburgunder I am 100+% convinced.

The 16s in particular really showed class and depth, age has been kind to them.

The Weissburgunders evoke Chablis like architecture so much I ordered a Dauvissat off the list to test my theory and it was a great side by side with the single vineyard Weissburgunders.

And the Bellens, well, we need 20 more years to assess the greatness of this vineyard.

Thank you @vomboden and @theolieberman for an incredible array of wines and a great evening🙏🏼

And if that all was not enough we were able to see @therulernyc perform at @djmuggs_the_black_goat_Record Release Party

Don’t tell people about these!!! I absolutely adore the Wasenhaus spatburgunders, and they are near impossible to find in the US.

I hear you but I have never been one to hold back promoting a producer because I respect how hard they work and want to help them in any little way I can. And the secret is already out on Wasenhaus.

I will give you a tip…buy all you can of the 2020s because they are stunning wines I tasted all of them in December. And sadly they lost 80% of their crop in 2021 so it will be your last chance for awhile to stock up.

Already commented on IG. So happy to get some data on the 16’s. I love the Pinot’s from Wasenhaus. Among my favourite wines in the world. They just hit a sweet spot for me when it comes to Pinot Noir. They are kinda what i hoped to find in Burgundy, but never really did.

The whites have been a bit more hit and miss for me, but with some good bottles in between. Still have two 2016 Weissburgunders in the cellar. The base and the Bellen. Maybe I should try one soon.

Waiting for the 2020 with real excitement. Only heard good things. Hopefully it is still possible to find a few bottles.

My biggest problem is that it will probably be impossible to buy the wines in a few years time. But they deserve it. World class stuff.

Thanks very much for both of your comments. I would try the 16 whites as they were showing great last night.

Thanks. Guess it won’t hurt opening the base soon. The Bellen has a strange affection/collector’s value to me, being bottle 257 out of 275 and being Wasenhaus :rofl:.
It is silly i know, but need to find the right occasion.