DC Int'l Wine and Food Society is it worth while

Does anyone have any thoughts on the DC Int’l wine and food society? Is it a good group? Alternatively, are there better wine clubs/groups in the DC area? I happen to live on the Virginia side (Fairfax County) but would welcome this groups input into what groups are interesting. Thanks all in advance for advice!

Well, I live in DC and know a fair amount of DC wine folk through all the dinners we’ve had. I’ve never heard of them, but maybe I’m not cool enough.

1 Like

Also in Fairfax, would also love any club or organization that let me sample good wines and food.

Some stores and restaurants around here host wine dinners or tastings but they always seem more geared towards beginners or feature one producer. Not that there’s anything wrong with that and for a store that’s probably the right business call. But something more advanced would be nice.

1 Like

If you like German wine, we have an active German Wine Society chapter here. Generally just tastings but occasionally they have dinners. But like Eric, I never heard of the DC Intl wine and food society and I’ve lived here since ‘98.

1 Like

I suggest you join or at least look into it. I have met a few of the DC members (but not the whole group) and they seem to know their stuff. For more background info, do a net search of the Int’l wine and food society. Background: I never heard of them until 2 years ago, when I discovered them and joined the Jacksonville branch, where I had just moved. Wish I knew of them 30 years ago when I lived in NJ (there are NYC and Philly chapters). There are chapters across the Americas branch and internationally. Each chapter holds local wining and dining events during the year, typically it seems like about half a dozen. Americas branch hosts bigger travel events each year. We (Americas) are just back from 10 days in Paris and Bordeaux; an event is planned in DC in October, another in Oregon next spring. Each chapter operates independently, but as an example, JAX has 1 black tie event each year, a few organized dinners out, a couple catered events in members homes, with attendance typically 3 dozen or so. Dues are not expensive.

1 Like

I’ll be moving back to DC soon and this sounds right up my alley but they’re website is seriously lacking in information. I’ll send them a note for more info.

John, I’m a longtime member of the International Wine & Food Society (IWFS), and have been on the Board of Directors of the Americas region since 2007. I’m a member of the Chicago branch. The IWFS has been around since 1934, but I think the DC branch dates to the 1960s. There are about 4,000 members in the US. You can learn more about the IWFS here.

I know one of the DC branch’s leaders. He’s a really good guy, and they do a number of really nice dinners. The branch maintains their own wine cellar for use with dinners, but I don’t know much about the cellar (branches keep their cellar contents close to the vest). If you want an electronic introduction, send me a PM with your email address and I can make the intro. Then I’ll leave it to you from there.

Thanks, I have reached out 3 times through the website and never gotten a reply. Any idea or contact info you would be willing to share. I would really like to join. Thanks!

I belonged to the local chapter for several years and my take is that it was more about networking than it was about the wine. The cellar was very Bordeaux-centric and while I like Bordeaux, it’s not what I’m looking for at an Italian restaurant. They do allow members to bring a guest with the guest paying an extra charge for the wine served, which is inclusive for members.

This seems pretty interesting. I would love more info as well. If you wouldn’t mind just sharing general membership fees and costs etc. If not then if you could please PM me with who to reach out to. Thanks!

Joel and John, I just sent each of you a PM.

Michael, each branch operates somewhat autonomously relative to things like their cellar (if they have one), membership dues, how they offer membership, etc. There are guidelines that we set at the national level, but for the most part the branches do what works for their membership.

My branch in Chicago has a cellar that’s very Bordeaux-centric, but has plenty of bottles from other regions. Everybody loves wine but are not “wine snobs”, preferring to enjoy each other’s company at the monthly dinners. Membership for business networking purposes is highly discouraged, but again, other branches might have different views on that.