Jean-Louis CHAVE „Winemakers’ Winemaker“ 2022

Jean-Louis Chave, son of Gérard and reknowned Hermitage-producer, has been awarded the „Winemakers’ Winemaker“ award at the ProWein in Düsseldorf.

This award is given by the Institute of Masters of Wine annually since 2011. It´s chosen by a panel of winemakers - all Masters of Wine – plus award’s past winners … so it´s definitely of high importatce and relevance.

On receiving the award, Jean-Louis Chave said:
“I am very proud to win this award, especially coming from the Masters of Wine whom I admire so much. It’s impossible to make a wine from a vineyard that doesn’t inspire you, and a good winemaker should give a sense of the place in their wine. It’s more than a technique; it’s a deep understanding of the terroir and its history, which I try to express in my wines.”

The Chave family has been producing wines in the northern Rhône Valley for over 500 years. Jean-Louis took over the domaine in Mauves in 1992 after studies at the University of Connecticut and a degree in oenology at UC Davis/California … he is the 16th generation of winemakers in the family. They own 15 ha of vines on the Hermitage hill … plus vineyards in St.Joseph and Crozes-Hermitage.
champagne.gif [worship.gif]

Is there a list of past winners?

Yes, somewhere, I’m on travel now.

Taken from the MW website:
"Chave now joins the impressive list of previous winners: Peter Sisseck (2011), Peter Gago (2012), Paul Draper (2013), Anne-Claude Leflaive (2014), Egon Müller (2015), Alvaro Palacios (2016), Eben Sadie (2017), Jean-Claude Berrouet (2018) and Angelo Gaja (2019). Due to the global pandemic, there was no award given in 2020 and 2021".

Anne Claude won in 2014? That is an interesting choice.

That’s the list I saw (thanks) … but had no time to post here …
excellent company for Jean-Louis … although I had to google two of the names …

Well deserved. Of course since I consider Roberto Conterno the Jean Louis Chave of Italy( and JL Chave the French version of RC) ,He should probably get it too. Thanks Gerhard- never heard of that award .

KP Keller would also be a worthy candidat …