1996 Potensac

I picked up a half case of the 1996 Potensac for a song late last year and what a bargain in was. This doesn’t wow you, but tee it up with a steak and it’s just way too good, way to satisfying for its pedigree. It was wines like this that we used to beat our breasts about, declaring Bordeaux the world’s QPR champ.

Here’s my note:
Classic, restrained claret here with a little leafy note, cedar, soil and cassis. Has plenty of depth and some nice fruit, with good acidity and structure to hold it all together. Ready to rumble.

It is wines like this that I honestly wish I had more and more of in my collection rather than the more untouchable or unicorn stuff. I’m a drinker. Daily drinkers are the most important part of your cellar. This wine sounds great. 2016 Potensac is smokin, by the way.

Completely. This is cheap and commonplace enough that you can open it guilt-free on a Tuesday without ceremony. But the fun part is, this is good enough for a Thursday or even a Friday night, depending on the fare.

I don’t think I’ve had any Potensac since the 05, I’ll look for some ‘16. I bet the ‘19 is great too.

Had a 2010 Prieuré-Lichine tonight. Along the same lines, in that it is a “drinker” and not some untouchable. Just a splendid bottle of wine.

1 Like

I had 16 Potensac last night. Drank well after an hour decant or so, red fruited, not heavy, nice medium style claret.