2013 Rhys Bearwallow Pinot

I started buying Rhys about 2011 and stopped 2020 with some Alesia from then. Loved the wine when fresh and really enjoyed the tastings at the pick-up events pre-Covid. This was my oldest bottle left and i feel i may have left it a bit too long. It seems dusty and dried out with hints of the red fruit but not much. It’s like a stems and seeds joint. It does the job but with less flavor and fun. The Pinots don’t seem to last as well as the Chardonnays IMHO.

I found myself in somewhat of a similar situation with Williams Selyem (PN) and DuMol (Chardonnay), having stopped buying somewhere around 2010/2011. Long story short, we were invited to an at-home dinner with friends last night, so I rummaged and found a 2009 WS PN and a 2009 DuMol. The Pinot was absolutely divine, while the Chardonnay had jumped the shark with darkening color and light oxidation. Fortunately, I have 2 bottles of the WS left. Unfortunately, I have 2 bottles of the DuMol. Obla di…

I had a bottle of 2013 Horseshoe last week. Somewhat one more wine. Very little of interest on the nose. Not what I expected.

I’m with ya’, Robert. My last two bottles have shown the way it sounds yours did:

2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (7/7/2021)
– cork pulled about 20 minutes prior to initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 1.5 to 2 hours –
– from 375 mL –

NOSE: deep, red berry aromas; light tertiary tones in the background.

BODY: violet-garnet color of medium to medium-deep depth; light bricking throughout; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: feels like the fruit is falling-out — seems fairly light on the palate, particularly for a Bearwallow; round; not tannic; medium, maybe medium+, acidity; not funky or stemmy. Drink Now.

50, 5, 12, 15, 7 = 89 (89 pts.)

2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (8/21/2021)
Pleasant, slightly aged Nose. Red-fruited, a bit thin, and not complex on the Palate. Drink Now and over the near term.

I’d like to take this moment to point out how terribly wrong John Gilman was with his proposed drinking window of 2021-2050+.

Can’t speak for the Bearwallow, but the '13 Skyline I’m sipping now is outstanding.

• 2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Skyline Vineyard - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (5/19/2022)
    12.6% abv. Medium burgundy red, very aromatic. Raspberry, black and red cherry, blue fruit and a touch of mint. Has an intriguing savory element. Excellent mouthfeel, depth, complexity and length. Good to see what this unique vineyard can do with a little age. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

A great contrast here is the basic 2013 Knez Anderson Valley PN. It has spice, black tea, woodsy dark red fruit aromas. And the palate is raspberry cherry and more savory stuff. Really wonderful for its lowly status and $30 price tag.

1 Like

Interesting. I normally find myself wishing I had waited longer on Rhys Pinots.

While I generally agree, 2013 was an early drinking vintage for Rhys Pinots in my opinion.

Maybe for Bearwallow. Not so much with Alpine and Horseshoe to my taste. Of course I am not much a Bearwallow fan.

Well it is a different wine on day two. A return of dusty red fruit and more flesh on the bones. It’s like meeting a friend after a long time and you both have changed. It sometimes takes some time to reconnect and remember what you liked about this person. Much more engaging with Parmigian chicken and simple pasta. Really appreciate my run with Rhys. They taught me a lot.