James Suckling Great Wines of the World 2022: NY Grand Tasting - 6/2 & 6/3

Putting aside the thoughts on some of his scoring, my Wife and i have attended a couple of similarly themed Suckling event in NY (both times it was Great Wines of the Andes Grand Tasting). This year the spectrum of wines is a little broader as it now includes wines form around the world (each scoring 92 points or higher). Thought the early bird pricing of 2 tickets for $200 was very reasonable for an event like this.

In event anybody is interested in the Tasting, I made a spreadsheet of wineries that will be there on 6/3 and then cross referenced wines being sold by promotional partner (Wine dot Com) to come up with a somewhat comprehensive list of wines that they will be pouring… Apologies for the rough way to get them into the post.

Curious to see what folks think
JS USA.png
JS other.png
JS Italy.png
JS France.png
JS Chile.png
JS Arg.png

2 Likes

We’ve got a piece of the CellarTracker team going for both days (early sessions.) Thanks for posting this list! Looks fun.

Do the producers come to pour?

Back in 2019 which was the last time they held Great Wines of the Andes, it was a mix. Some of the producers were there either pouring or chatting particularly for some of the smaller wineries.

Putting aside the thoughts on some of his scoring, my Wife and i have attended a couple of similarly themed Suckling event in NY (both times it was Great Wines of the Andes Grand Tasting). This year the spectrum of wines is a little broader as it now includes wines form around the world (each scoring 92 points or higher). Thought the early bird pricing of 2 tickets for $200 was very reasonable for an event like this.

92 or higher would be 90% of James wine reviews of 2021.

2 Likes

And pretty much yours as well [wink.gif]

1 Like

While true… still a damn good list of wineries that will be pouring…Will be easy enough to find enough to sample for the night. Heck we might have to make some choices on who to taste and who we will have to skip…

1 Like

The wines look solid. A bit conventional which is fine, but some things I am curious about (eg Penfolds Quantum, if that is what is poured) and would never take the effort to buy. Also a really good survey for one of my team who is newer to higher end wine.

Hopefully some of my SA friends will be pouring there. If you are right that the '18 Cheval des Andes is on tap, it is a killer wine.

So sorry for your lack of math skills finding an average of wine reviews for the year. You have to go a ways to find a quarter with a 92 average. Maybe if I got a ton of free samples like James I would increase those scores by 4 or 5 points. https://www.cellartracker.com/classic/list.asp?O=iNote+DESC&Table=NotesTime

Hey Lou - thanks for posting this. I’ll be there on the 6/2 evening and there are a lot of wines overlapping with your Friday list. I would love to have the list to help navigate the tasting if you’re willing to share the file; will follow up via PM.

Hey David, Response to your PM sent. Let me know if you received it…

Any one know if we need a negative Covid test to get in?

You do not.

eta - not explicitly no here, but not listed either.

The Altman no longer requires people to wear a mask when entering and moving about the venue. Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is no longer required. Masks will remain optional for all persons. We do mandate being considerate of each other. We modified the format of the 2022 Grand Tastings to ensure the well-being of all our attendees so that the wines can be fully enjoyed. This includes a spacious setting; reduced attendance capacity, personal spittoons and hand-sanitizer stations. Please note JamesSuckling.com reserves the right to refuse entry or remove an individual from the event if mandated health & safety protocols are breached.

1 Like

This includes a spacious setting; reduced attendance capacity, personal spittoons and hand-sanitizer stations.

If i was completely honest, the personal spittoons were the deal clincher for me… I wonder if we will be able to take them home with us…