TN: A Chard, a Merlot, and a Torrette Walk Into a Bar....(short/boring)

Tried these three w/ DinDin last night:

1. Ser Chard CoastviewVnyd/MontereyCnty (13%; www.SerWinery.com; 150 cs) NicoleWalsh/SantaCruz 2015: Med.gold color; very strong melony/floral/Chard/celerey seed/almondy bit citric light pencilly/oak slight spicy/nutmeg really lovely nose; fairly tart/tangy rather citric/grapefruity strong melony/Chard/bit honeysuckle/almondy light spicy/nutmeg slight pencilly/oak bit complex lovely flavor; very long/lingering quite spicy/bit nutmeg bit citric/grapefruity strong floral/melony/Chard/celerey seed light pencilly some complex finish; a rather lithe/vibrant/svelte expression of Chard that can still go another 206 yrs. $28.00

1. S.Anderson Merlot StagsLeapDist (14.5%; www.4Bubbly.com) Yountville 1999: Med.dark some browning color; rather cedary/pencilly/oldRed bit toasty/oak some herbal/Cab bit oldBdx some oxidative/tired nose; soft pretty oxidative/tired/cedary/oldRed slight Merlot/grapey some toasty/oak rather earthy/oldBdx flavor w/ light astringent tannins; med.long some oxidative/oldBdx slight herbal/grapey rather tired/astringent/metallic sligt herbal/Bdx finish w/ light astringent/drying tannins; not totally dead & still clinging to life but offers up little pleasure. $nc (B&SR)

1. Ch.Feuillet Torrette Dd’OP: Valle d’Aosta (13.5%; 90% PetiteRouge/10% Mayolet; Lotto 07/19; KermitLynch/Berkeley) Maurizio Fiorano/St.Pierre/Vd’A 2018: Med.color w/ slight bricking; lovely very fragrant cherry/black cherry/blackberry rather floral/lilacs/Alpine red light earthy/dusty/OV slight pencilly/oak almost Savoie Mondeuse-like fairly complex nose; lightly tar bit earthy/dusty/OV strong black cherry/blackberry/alpine floral/lilacs/spicy bit licorice/pungent light pencilly/oak fairly complex flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long/lingering lightly tart/tangy some earthy/OV fairly strong blackberry/black cherry/Alpine floral/lilacs bit pungent/licorice light pencilly/oak some complex finish w/ light tangy tannins; a lovely Alpine/Vd’A red that resembles a bit a Savoie Mondeuse but more high-toned/Alpine in character; very attractive price at $24.50 (KK)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Ser is the wnry of NicoleWalsh. She started her wine career in Michigan, then moved to Calif. She started wi/ Randall at BonnyDoon and continues there, w/ a brief stint in NewZealand.
    I like her wines quite a lot. Don’t know if she’s regarded as a natural winemaker or not, but her wines are clean/well-made & show no natty character whatsoever.

1. S.Anderson was a wnry that started in the early '70’s w/ a focus on Sparkling wines. When that market stagnated, they switch to Merlot/Cab. In 2001, they were sold to RaySignorello and Cliff Lede. They no longer make wines under this label.
    This wine was recently gifted me from Bill&Sheila Reed, friends from Charlottesville. The storage provenance was questionable.

1. Torrette is an AC that is mostly a blend of PetiteRouge w/ other red varieties. Both PetitRouge & Mayolet are varieties indigeneous to the Vd’A. This red displayed a floral character that I oft find in Alpine reds.
    Tom
1 Like

Excellent title Tom, and nice notes as well. I’ll have to look up some Torette, from your description, it would seem to be right up my alley.

Looking forward to the tasting note in 2228.

Love Nicole’s wines, Have you had her Cab Pfeffers or Rieslings, Tom?

Absolutely, Adam. From Wirz Vnyd. They’re terrific.
Tom

1 Like