Emptying Haut Brion's Cellars for Charity

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-13/prince-robert-of-luxembourg-first-growth-bordeaux-wine-auction-for-polg-charity

An amazing catalog!

1 Like

and the live auction is proving (again) that in this environment it’s hard to guess how high top Bordeaux that has great provenance can go . . .

Though I knew it would go higher than anything I was up for paying, I was interested in lot 482 which had an estimate of $4,000-6,500 – 4 bottles of 1926 Haut Brion. Just hammered at $30,000 ($37,500 including bp). But tbh, I get it, if someone has basically unlimited funds (and obviously plenty of folks do) and wants some great vintage 100yr old Bordeaux, there’s not a lot of places to buy them with great provenance so its really hard to say “that isn’t worth it” or whatever . . .

right after the above lot btw, one 4.5L of the 1926 hammered at $70,000 (87,500 including bp)

1 Like

I’ve been paying a little attention to the auction and am seeing the same thing. Perfect provenance ultra rare bottles are getting a big premium. How fun would it be to break out a 4.5l bottle of ‘26 HB for a large party of wine loving friends? I’m not sure I have enough Berserker friends for 6 bottles worth lol. Guess I’ll have to drink it by myself :joy:.